Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
1990 164QV Euro spec & 1991 168B
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Finally hopefully "fixed" jury rigged Myron's 95 164LS starter wiring to work forever more.

You may recall continuing saga of intermitting no starter workee and of course everytime he would come over it would work.

So month or so ago I installed a emergency backup momentary override toggle switch in engine bay to shove 12v power directly to starter solenoid terminal with spring loaded toggle switch under hood at false firewall.

Well, finally his car's internal wiring became completely inop and he had to open hood everytime to start car.

So Monday on way to dinner meeting he told me about this now everytime start mode and asked if I could please look at his car again.

Today I managed to jury rigged internal wiring by totaly bypassing bad somewhere in the freakin wiring from ignition switch to trunk to anti theft box and back to I10 starter relay pin 86 purple and black relay energizing wire.

Darn relay is 4-5 inches from ignition switch wiring connector so easy fix.

I took black starter wire from switch out of the 4-wire connector to switch and ran a 6" new purple wire to purple wire going to I10 starter relay socket holder pin 86.

Car starts everytime with the key now.

Who knows and who cares where bad wire or connector is as he doesn't even have remote for anti-theft unit anyway.

·
Premium Member
7,074 Posts
use a black sharpie

to make your purple/black wire, and

PLEASE PUT A TAPED NOTE ON IT (the wire) EXPLAINING WHAT YOU DID !
Will help future generations of fixit-folks when they have to troubleshoot

Seriously, this is always a good idea when we 'fix' something in a creative way

ALSO-- Steve have you indirectly determined that the starter relay (and thus the starter itself) can be inhibited by the alarm box? This warrants more thought -----

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
to make your purple/black wire, and

PLEASE PUT A TAPED NOTE ON IT (the wire) EXPLAINING WHAT YOU DID !
Will help future generations of fixit-folks when they have to troubleshoot

Seriously, this is always a good idea when we 'fix' something in a creative way

ALSO-- Steve have you indirectly determined that the starter relay (and thus the starter itself) can be inhibited by the alarm box? This warrants more thought -----
I am over it I haven't time or desire to troubleshoot wiring. Stupid design to run a wire that is isn't 5 inches from relay socket under the dash all the way to the trunk and then all the way back to relay.

What I is did is in plain sight. I am in a crabby mood. It is/was hot and humid.

End of rant.

Even wiring in trunk is wrong color according to wiring diagram car wire is purple wiring diagram is purple-black. And no power to the purple wire in trunk if in fact it was the wire that becomes purple and black somewhere in the car.

To complicated and time consuming to troubleshoot a system he can't even use since he has no remote.

Sharpie fine line pen good idea I will have to call him back and get wire corrected one of these days.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
c'mon over!

bob
Another idea just hit me. He had some audio shop install a new radio failrly recently and wiring and relays (starter one included) all in disarray.

According to the wiring diagram book the connector G241 wiring to anti-theft unit in trunk goes through area located in front of radio area F9 I think on Grid locating diagram. Go figure that one out.

Even if that is problem wrong color wires between car and wiring diagrams not a big help.

·
28,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Both the 12v and 24v 164 anti theft systems do disable the starter relay when armed.

In addition the 24v also disables the engine computer when armed.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've been wondering how to install a remote on my car. It didn't come with an alarm but the lock on the door seems to have a bit too much play when I turn the key. Doesn't seem like the lock hits a hard stop. The whole idea is just avoiding excessive wear on the lock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.