Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

have a 1995 24v 164 and trying to install a new key fob but need to input a 4-digit alarm code and not sure where to find it. Have an alfa code card with electronic and mechanical codes on it but the electronic code it 5 digits not 4 so assume that is for something else, despite the key symbol printed on the card.
Have a small white sticky label with a 4 digit code above a long code. Any suggestions?
Also seem to recall having some small metal plate stamped with another code but not sure where that is at present -maybe I imagined it. If I didn't it is probably the code I need - sod's law and all that.

Help please! Would like to activate the new key fob before the only working one fails.

Thanks,

Richard
1995 V6 24V Super - UK spec

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
The Service Bulletins discuss the 95, but not the 94. I'd have to look up which one.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I am having the same problem, and i need to find the original code to resolve this, i was thinking that maybe the red box in the trunk (alarm ecu) or the over head console might have this number you are talkin about on it, from my last atempt i though the number was 6 or 8 numbers longs. not sure if it is any help

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Thanks but understand it is a 4-digit code and can't find one. Might try inputting the 5 digit electronic code that came with the car but a bit afraid of locking myself out of the alarm system altogether.
Was considering repairing my other original alarm key fob with the microswitch from the 'new' non-original - this seems to be the part that fails.

Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Richard I just program a second remote to my 1994 LS. The book instructions are Look at the receive and on the left there a programing button, push and hold down this buttonie the led will flash driefly to indicate that one or more codes are stored. While holding this button down take your old remote and press and release it. The led will come on continously indicating the opening of the internal memory. Continue holding the button down and press and release the new remote who's code ie to be memorized. the led will go out indicating that the new code has been correctly received. Release the button on the transmitter. The LED will flash for about 8 sec to indicate that the new code is being memorized. At this point your new remote should function. Good luck!!

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Richard I just program a second remote to my 1994 LS. The book instructions are Look at the receive and on the left there a programing button, push and hold down this buttonie the led will flash driefly to indicate that one or more codes are stored. While holding this button down take your old remote and press and release it. The led will come on continously indicating the opening of the internal memory. Continue holding the button down and press and release the new remote who's code ie to be memorized. the led will go out indicating that the new code has been correctly received. Release the button on the transmitter. The LED will flash for about 8 sec to indicate that the new code is being memorized. At this point your new remote should function. Good luck!!

Hi,

many thanks for that. It sounds similar to what I tried already but will give it a go and post back.

Cheers,

Richard

·
Premium Member
15,886 Posts
The 95's are different than the 94's according to the SB's but will have a look.

·
Registered
503 Posts
alfa bob, thanks it worked great and now i have two remotes working for my 95LS, many thanks and if you are ever in TN i owe you a bottle of Jack Daniels

thanks again and have a blessed day

·
Registered
503 Posts
Nicolas - i think you can still get the remotes for the LS/Quad from any alfa parts supllier, i think they are 70$ but the old remotes i think you will have to watch ebay or the classified ads for them, but i have a feeling they are worth their weight in gold and go for alot....i got mine from uk ebay and paid a fortune for shipping but it totaled for 60$ used
good luck

·
Registered
2,784 Posts
My experiences with the 94 and 95 cars is this buy the remote and overhead console (OHC) from a car that is being parted out or matched set. They are hard to find I got my last matched set from APE for about $100. I have switched 94 and 95 OHCs without a problem. The remotes and the OHC are the only part of the alarm that are code matched.

On the 91 to 93 cars the remote and the black alarm boxes (located in the trunk froward of the battery) are matched and are not code programmable. They supposedly can be soldered somehow to match but I never tried it. I also have bought this from APE in the past for about $100.

Hope this helps someone as I beat my head on the wall for years on this subject.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
My experiences with the 94 and 95 cars is this buy the remote and overhead console (OHC) from a car that is being parted out or matched set. They are hard to find I got my last matched set from APE for about $100. I have switched 94 and 95 OHCs without a problem. The remotes and the OHC are the only part of the alarm that are code matched.

On the 91 to 93 cars the remote and the black alarm boxes (located in the trunk froward of the battery) are matched and are not code programmable. They supposedly can be soldered somehow to match but I never tried it. I also have bought this from APE in the past for about $100.

Hope this helps someone as I beat my head on the wall for years on this subject.
Interesting. I had to exchange the main PCB on my 1995 24v overhead console (from a 1993 model) and you are right that it was necessary to keep the smaller alarm PCB to avoid alarm incompatibility.

Personally I absolutely failed to successfully reprogramme a remote from a different 164 - not sure what year it came from but something wasn't right somewhere...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Tks Jason, but we do not have Alfa dealers here in Canada and I may need to research US. Do you have any suggestions or a name of a dealer ?
Tks
Nick

1 - 16 of 16 Posts