Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 164Q and my rear brakes lights (left,right and center) stay on. I have checked the plunger-type switch (that is on the brake pedal arm) with a meter and it opens and shorts at the terminals just fine. I have searched this forum and most "brake lights stay on" issues are resolved with replacement of relay I69 near the false firewall area. I have referenced my service manuals (electrical supplement for 1995) and the only relay I see by the false firewall area is Q15. The manual states that this relay is heater blower relay. There is no I69 relay mentioned in my 1995 electrical supplement manual.
Has anyone come across this issue before? or have any recommendations?
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
27,009 Posts
The 94-95 164 models do not have the I69 relay that is only on the 91-93 12v models.

I suspect the switch you checked is cruise control switch with purple and green wires not brake light switch with white and white-red wires and a potted shunt in a square in one of the wires (I think the white-red one). If switch appears to be in correct position disconnect wires and see if lights go out.

Check that switch and bracket to be sure the bracket hasn't moved and plunger is not being depressed by brake pedal.

Do you have the 94 shop manual and wiring diagrams books or the car disc DVD? The 95 supplemental manuals only cover the 95 specific changes.

Refer the 94 wiring diagrams pg 462 for brake and turn signals and pg 148 for cruise control.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts