Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am buying a gearshift knob (like in pic below) from APE. They say that they need to sell me the whole shift assembly as the knob is very diffiicult to remove. I bought the whole assembly, but just wondering if I need to replace all that. There must be some way to just get the knob off, no? :confused:
Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My gear shift knob just pops off but you never know till you try. Try it on your old one first.
I don't have an old one. The PO had an aftermarket on for some reason. APE said they had to send me the whole shift assembly because it is too hard to get the knob off. Now that I have it, it does seem to be on there pretty good. Almost welded on. Which begs the question, how did the PO get it off and why! :mad:

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I don't have an old one. The PO had an aftermarket on for some reason. APE said they had to send me the whole shift assembly because it is too hard to get the knob off. Now that I have it, it does seem to be on there pretty good. Almost welded on. Which begs the question, how did the PO get it off and why! :mad:
If it's like on manual-transmission FIATs of the period, I'd suggest to leave it alone and fit the whole shift assembly. On the FIATs, e.g. Croma, the soft material of the knob is moulded around a hard plastic ball (the size of a golf ball) that, in turn, is moulded around a ridge in the shaft. You have to cut the knob in half, stretch it off the 'golf ball', and finally hacksaw the golf ball in two to remove. To refit the knob, I filled the space with fibreglass-reinforced body filler. It held up OK but the split in the knob was difficult to conceal.

EDIT: If the 'golf ball' internal ridge breaks off, the knob will indeed pop off the shaft, but it will be difficult to achieve this breakage intentionally!

I can't guarantee that 164 is the same, but I would be surprised if it was different given that it left a similar factory on a similar date.

People do like to fit aftermarket knobs for personal reasons I can never fathom. It's just so much harder on these cars than on cars that have the knob threaded to the shaft.

-Alex

·
Registered
30 Posts
I had to fit another knob after the stitching started coming loose and the knob started looking all faded. Alex is correct and I found this out by using a Dremel to cut lengthways up the knob to basically split it in half. No way out but to destroy the whole knob.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I had to fit another knob after the stitching started coming loose and the knob started looking all faded. Alex is correct and I found this out by using a Dremel to cut lengthways up the knob to basically split it in half. No way out but to destroy the whole knob.
Thanks for confirming this - I didn't know for sure whether the Alfa Romeo would be the same ;) After all, FIATs don't have the stitched material covering, though I've never decided if it's actually leather or not (I suspect it's the same as the steering wheel, which doesn't *seem* to be leather).

-Alex

·
Premium Member
1,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, what a production!
I can't imagine what my mechanic will charge to swap the linkage out!
Anyway, thanks for the info.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts