Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorting thru the many electrical problems are challenging to say the least but I'm getting things working. My gas gauge hasn't worked since I purchased the car last November. (always reads empty) Reading thru the threads, I performed the ground test at the sender. The first test was with the purple wire, power on, and gas gauge went right to full. I turned power off it stood there at full. Lightly tapped the top of the instrument pod a couple of times gauge went back to empty. Grounded it again went back to full. Stood there tapped it again went back to empty. Grounded the white / black wire no low fuel light in the instrument cluster. Do I need a new sender or a new gas gauge or both? Any suggestions or further troubleshooting would be well appreiated.
Thanks,
Chuck

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
Sounds like your sender is bad, and if I had to guess I'd say the low fuel bulb is burned out. Gauge sounds maybe a little sticky but it's apparently working.

Probably also a good idea to test the in-tank pump while you're checking things back there. Briefly apply 12V to the terminal with the pink/white wire using a remote starter switch or something and see if you can hear the pump (it's loud.)

I'd probably pull the sender assembly and see what's up. Be careful when you remove it not to lose the filter sock stuck to the bottom of the in-tank pump or you'll need to fish it out of the tank.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
clean and check that ground spade (probably is OK, otherwise the car would have an inoperative tank pump and would run badly)

Inspect the pump, maybe the float is punctured and full of gas (or has fallen off) in which case it'll read empty.
(A good time to inspect the inside of the tank with a flashlight, should be spotless in there)

when you remove/replace the pump make a note where the float is facing (iirc it should be facing spare tire well)
alfa s4 fuel pump in tank.jpg

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I actually cleaned all the spade connections on the sender and there were 3 other grounds on the rear drivers side close to the tail lights they all looked good but I cleaned them anyhow. Can you actually purchase a float if that's the cause? Thanks for the visual and the heads up on the positioning.
Chuck

·
Registered
8,094 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pulled sender totally shot. Ordered a new one along with the filter bag from Center Line. Bottom of the tank looks pretty dirty a lot of sediment. Is this something I should have cleaned or just not let the tank get real low on fuel. Has anyone pulled the gas tank and have it cleaned is it very involved?

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,514 Posts
Well it doesn't matter if the tank gets low or not: the pump pulls from the bottom of the tank.

If the tank is rusting inside then you should probably replace it or have it sealed. If it's just 30 years of grit at the bottom and the metal looks fine you may be able to clean most of it out in-situ. Harbor Freight has a great little $10 pump that works well for draining a tank through the sender hole.

Do not use a shop vac. When the gas fumes hit the motor they can ignite and then you've got a portable flamethrower. Buddy of mine did this experiment.

·
Registered
8,094 Posts
can you post a photo of inside the tank?

on the pump/sender, there is a short rubber "stepped hose", check this is in good order, it is important there are no cracks.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As soon as I remove the gas with that pump Gubi recommended I'll take some photos. That short little rubber hose looks to be in good shape along with the fuel pump I wanted to order that hose but they were out of stock. If its just If its just 26 years of grit at the bottom how do you go about removing it myself without pulling the tank and bringing it somewhere?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts