Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfa BB,
I have just spent a lot of money on my 164 and although its running better than ever I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the aluminum air box with a cold air intake system in it's place. There is nothing wrong with the air box but it just would look cooler under the hood. Is it possible to gain any HP numbers from this "upgrade?" If so are they substantial enough to do it?
Thanks,
Chris Pellegrini
Custom Plates (94 Alfa)
NY state
Scarsdale NY Alfa resident

Attachments

·
Registered
8,782 Posts
The air is drawn in from the left front fender liner, not from the engine compartment. It's already "cold" air.

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Yes, don't bother. Tests seem to indicate that you don't really gain anything. Plus, some don't think it looks cool, just maybe a little misunderstood. Usually, the available aftermarket intake/filter setups are not as cold air as the OEM setup.

Think of it this way, if there were to be a gain in hp or whatever, by such a simple change, don't you think the factory would have included such a setup already? I think their stock setup is as good as it can pretty much be for cold intake while using a decent air filter.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Do a search. You'll find the previous debates on the subject, and the subsequent lambasting of supporters.

There's really nothing off the shelf out there.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I'll tell you my experience with a open cone style filter that I had, and I've run the car both ways. The P.O. cut the 164S filter box open and put in a cone style K&N. This was in my first S but my second 164. The car had much better throttle response than my L, had a great sound and I liked it a lot. I went back to a stock setup after about a year with factory air box and factory Alfa filter. The car was noticeably less responsive to throttle inputs, it seemed to drag compared to before and after two weeks I went back to the semi open system in the pictures below. Many will say it's not true, that there is no difference but on my setup it did and I really enjoyed it. My butt dyno told me the car was quicker and my right foot sure loved the response.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
15,854 Posts
Could be, could be, but some equate increased sound levels with more performance, lol. A bit of psychological deception I think? Have experienced that myself. Certainly, that cut away filter box does let in more warm engine bay air, and as we know, the very compact 164 bay temps are higher than, say, a regular arrangement of the V-6, such as in the GTV6 or Milano.

I'd like to see some verified results from actual testing, either dyno or track to be sure.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts
Dear Alfa BB,
I have just spent a lot of money on my 164 and although its running better than ever I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the aluminum air box with a cold air intake system in it's place. There is nothing wrong with the air box but it just would look cooler under the hood. Is it possible to gain any HP numbers from this "upgrade?" If so are they substantial enough to do it?
Thanks,
Chris Pellegrini
Custom Plates (94 Alfa)
NY state
Scarsdale NY Alfa resident
Like the others said, do not bother. There is nothing to gain. You may gain at most 1hp and have a different response from the throttle. But with K&N filters you are also contaminating your engine quicker. The system is a Cold air intake already by pulling in air from right under the front bumper. I think spending the money on other things would be more beneficial. Suspension? Euro lamps? etc… Need some ideas, let me know? :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I believe there are other changes available that would have an impact on performance. The ones that come to mind are switching the intake runners to one from a Q model. Also, is there a performance computer chip swap out available? My concern would be how much more horsepower or torque can the automatic transmission take? I do not think they are as robust as the manual transmissions.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do and keep us posted.

Cheers,

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Best way to improve cold air injection (denser air ) would be to move to western Canada. Seriously the air box design is well thought out and would be very difficult to prove upon.

Horsepower gains in this motor are limited for guys like me. The old saying goes " there's no replacement for displacement" unless u want to get exotic (read expen$ive). If ya want the ponies then drive at rpm north of 4500 or so.

·
Premium Member
9,776 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
^^^ What Jason says, very cost effective way to go faster. An expensive cat back exhaust like a Stebro may open up your top end.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts