Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Alfa-bb community,
I have some troubling car issues atm with my 1994 Alfa romeo 164 LS automatic. I started the car and the check engine light came on twice and then the car shut off. I then waited 10 seconds and then turned on the car again. the check engine light went off when i gave it gas in park. Now here is the troubling part, I was driving out of my driveway and the car's engine wasn't running correctly. My main concern was because i was using the accelerator and no power seemed to be there. I then floored it to see if that would help and the engine stayed at 20/30 mph. I then tried sport mode and to my amazement the button had no effect. Sport mode drastically changes the engine usually. Is this a known issue?
Thanks,
Chris Pellegrini

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Sport mode is for tranny computer, not engine computer.

Pull engine motronic codes and see if one stored in memory and report back what code you have. Turn on key stomp accel pedal to floor 5 times in less than 5 secons and then count flashes of check engine light to see what code(s) you get. Note: 4-4-4-4 is for no codes stored.

See this procedure: http://www.digest.net/alfa/FAQ/164/94motron.htm

1-2-x-x series will be for fault codes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Dear Alfisto Steve,
It turns out that the only issue was a clogged air filter. I hadn't had the air filter changed for a long time because I didn't have a license until I was 18!

·
Premium Member
26,992 Posts
Dear Alfisto Steve,
It turns out that the only issue was a clogged air filter. I hadn't had the air filter changed for a long time because I didn't have a license until I was 18!
Good deal now be sure you have a good low mileage and low age timing belt installed with proper belt tension on timing belt.

Rule is 30,000 miles and 3 years max on 24v engines.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts