Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have a 1993 164S with two separate issues. It is lowered on Koni adjustable shocks and has 17" wheels with Ecsta tires on it.

1. At freeway speeds a noticeable steering wheel shake. I had front tires balanced at firestone, and they were off. Upon fixing the balance, steering shake less noticeable but still apparent. Tires are not round-- could that be the whole issue? Tested rims and rims appear to be pretty straight.

2. When holding the accelerator at a steady mid-throttle you can feel the car pulse as it accelerates. Like it is missing and then catching up and then missing and catching up. It is not dramatic, but noticeable. It is not there at low speeds, or at least doesn't appear to be-- and is most apparent when going 50-70 mph.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
1. Has the alignment been checked and the steering joints checked? Did the problem only appear after lowering the suspension and putting on the new wheels?

2. Go through "TEST H" (pg. 04-69) of the service manual. I'd start out by looking at the inside of the distributor and rotor, and the condition of the ignition wires. On a dark night look for arcing in the RPM range you're having trouble with. Look for false air leaks. Also, could be a problem with the AFM electronic internals worn.

How many miles on the car?

·
Premium Member
27,161 Posts
Are your wheels 5x98 bolt pattern with hub centric rings to correctly fit the 164 hubs?

Is the inside of your air flow meter on top of air cleaner pretty clean and does spring loaded flapper move freely with no binding?

Check AFM with meter while manually opening flapper to see if resistance varies smoothly without sudden variations

On a 164B/L model check between pins 3 and 4 and pins 2 and 4.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Out of round tires will give rhythmic vibration very similar to wheel imbalance but cannot be cured by weights. Move a front tire to the rear and see if it changes. Then move the other front tire to the rear. Fitting the spare instead also works to isolate the faulty tire.

Out of round tires can be dangerous, usually not but one cannot tell. Replacement is the only cure.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
I've had trouble getting a good enough balancing job in order to get rid of all pulsations in most of my Alfas through the years. Alfas seem to be sensitive to that. Go to another balancer if the one you went to won't get it closer. Has taken me a couple of tries, usually.

Not much can be done to fix out of round, ie, poorly worn tires. There are some places which could shave the tread some, but that just reduces the remaining tread depth. Unfortunately, new tires are called for if that is the real problem.

One thing that will help you determine whether or not it is out of round tires, or misbalanced tires, is what speed ranges the pulsations occur at. Out of round tires generally pulse at all speeds, whereas misbalanced tires pulse most at ~65-75 mph, corresponding to the fundamental resonant frequency of a typical front suspension spring/mass/damper system, the adverse balance being the driving force.

·
Registered
201 Posts
steering weel shake can allso be from rear tires. i hade it and balance the rear to.

second problem for me looks like maf problem, the ceramic serface might be worn in specific places and that what you get.
i had the same filling in my and after replacing the maf it s gone

1 - 6 of 6 Posts