Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Craigslist has a Red 164S on it currently that I've seen briefly in passing for $2700. It's on my girl friends street so if anyone wants me to check it out I can. It's funny, a few months ago I was driving through a shopping center parking lot with her and the driver was a teen around 17 to 19. Well, I waved from my black S and he looked at me like I was a kook. Well, it comes to be that his father runs a small car business or is a flipper and sells about five to ten cars on CL a month. It's pretty clean and I'd be real interested if I didn't just the GTV6 on Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove this 164 about three weeks ago, the day after if was first posted on CL (price then was $3500). The story was that the father bought it for his high school aged son, who subsequently got a speeding ticket in it, and now has to sell. From what I could discern from the paperwork (such as it is) associated with the car, his father bought it at auction earlier this year, I believe near Palm Springs. He is, in fact, a dealer, as the plates have expired, and the car was driven with dealer plates. I ran a DMV check on the license plate, and someone tried to smog it twice in April, and it failed both times. The kid claimed to know nothing about that. It also has to be tested now at a "smog only" station. The father and/or uncle speaks little to no English, but the kid driving the car does and is nice enough. Far from being "really clean", on the day drove it, the interior was generally dirty and worn (though not terrible), and part of the headliner was actually stuck on the outside of the sunroof. Also, the ac/heater fan was completely dead. They claimed it previously worked and was a blown fuse. The car drove well enough it seemed, but the failed smog and general untidiness, as well as the lack of history, made me leery. They came down to $3,000 if I smogged, and are now down to $2700. They said they would both smog it and repair the ac fan at that price, but I remain a bit skeptical, knowing how expensive it can be to smog an "S". I also suspected the left rear of the car might have been dinged at some point, because the left rear taillight was not flush with the body. I decided to pass, ultimately, but would pick it up somewhere between $1500 and $2000, but I don't know if they will go that low. I was just afraid it would turn into a money pit, if substantial problems lurked below the surface. PM me if you have any other questions.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Make sure how much oil is burning before anything.......10 years ago I had black 164S with 90K, I had to add almost more oil than gas. Other than that beautiful classy cars.

Giorgio

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The only saving grace is that here in Cali the PO is responsible for smog. And if it failed in April it was them since it's been there about three months. Since he's a dealer he needs to do that for transfer. I won't touch that one since I've got two myself. Thanks for the report! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts