Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After enjoying my "new" baby for a few weeks now.., last night, a very annoying noise started. It comes from inside the glove compartment and you can actually "feel it" by touching a 1 square inch plastic connector located at the top left corner of the compartment.

This "cricket like sound" has a very rapid pulsating pace when the ignition is turned ON..., but after a few seconds it "settles" into a more relaxed "pace".

Can anyones please advise..?..., it is driving me crazy..!!

Thank you all in advance,

Alberto

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Ummm, hvac stepper motor gears going bad? Try turning off the hvac at the "off" button and see if the sound goes away.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ummm, hvac stepper motor gears going bad? Try turning off the hvac at the "off" button and see if the sound goes away.
Thank you Del,
I am still new on this model..., so.., where is the hvac OFF button..? sorry for my ignorance....
Alberto

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
Where are you located, USA? Reason I ask is I'm thinking of the US delivery models, where the "off" button is at the very right hand side of the fan speed button row, below the "sport" red light for the 164S electroshocks.

Read through the owner's manual for additional information. Really helps. I do it now and then to refresh my poor memory on my cars. Always end up saying to my self, "crap, I didn't remember/know that".

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Del,
I am in Edmonton, Canada....the car is an US spec model.
Following your directions, I went outside started the car and noticed that with the button in ON or OFF the noise remains.
So this means that the fan speed button/logic is the culprit ?...because it seems that the button does NOT turn on-off regardless.
Thank you for all your help...Del.
Alberto

·
Premium Member
27,168 Posts
If pushing the off button does not shut off the A/C Heater blower motor then the mirco switch behind the button on the a/c control panel (ECU) may be bad. It is soldered to circuit board inside ECU.

As for the noise of clicking inside glove boax area it is stepper motors gear boxes. One is for temperature setting and one is for air flow direction from defrost, heat to dash air flow.

You may have stripped gears in one or both steppers or just a noise we 164 owners don't let it bother us.

To remove noise from your car open glove box, pop out tire decal door, unplug power connector to steppers and noise will go away.

Now to see if steppers work leave connector connected, raise temp by pushing button on a/c panel and see if numbers in temp window rises and heat rises coming out of dash.

To see if air direction stepper works push buttons to move green dot from dash to defrost and see if air flows out differently.

If no to either endeaveor then you have stripped gears in one or both stepper gear boxes.

some BMWs this era use similiar gear boxes and you can get them and repair yours.

Search for how to do it on this 164 area.

Welcome to the wonderful world of 164 ownership. We all are alfaholics.

·
Premium Member
16,074 Posts
And perhaps crazy as loons (Canadian national bird?), in our way.

·
Premium Member
4,761 Posts
hmmmmm, usually in mine, the driver is the one making the odd noises and pushing any of his buttons affects a change. Welcome. ciao, chris

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi all and thank you for the advise.
Yesterday on my way home, and while waiting at a traffic light, I decided that I had enough.., reached for the plastic connector inside the glove box and unplugged it, noise stopped and sat there waiting for something catastrophic to happen....but seemingly everything keep functioning OK...but I noticed that the heater/ac was now inoperative (a small price to pay.....now I can concentrate in hearing the exquisit engine sound.... again..!!). My only concern was that if any other safety devices were turned OFF my unplugging the connector. For what you guys are telling me..., it does not....I am happy again..!!!
Many thanks....
Alberto

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Hi all and thank you for the advise.
My only concern was that if any other safety devices were turned OFF my unplugging the connector. For what you guys are telling me..., it does not....I am happy again..!!!
Many thanks....
Alberto
Nope, you are safe

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
To follow up on my initial concern..., the annoying noise is now GONE.., however, it seems that the heater/ac system is NOT working now.
My question is..., is the noise an indication that the whole inside unit has to be changed ?.., eventually I will need (at least) heat...a must this far north...!!!.
Is this connector controls all functions of the system?...(heat, cold air, air distribution selection, fan speed, etc..)....I can live without the a/c ....but heat I cannot do without.
Thanks again for all the help....

Alberto

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry guys..., Alfisto Steve provided an excelent and detailed description of how to handle the test of the heating and a/c system. Therefore my last message was not necessary...sorry Steve.....I will have to learn to be more patient.
Thanks again to all for the help.

Alberto

·
Registered
8,784 Posts
Stepper Motors

Here's a pic of the stepper motors. The right rear one operates the distribution drum...where the air goes...defrost, floor, vents, etc. The left front one operates the temperature. It can be changed without too much trouble, or you can hook up a manual wire to operate it manually.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you Richard,
Now I am more at ease, I thought it was necessary to remove the whole center console; I was ready just to leave it without a/c or heating....and just enjoy the car and its intoxicating engine sound....but now, I may just try to fix it.
Many thanks again,
Alberto

1 - 15 of 15 Posts