Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I start out in 1st gear and let out the clutch slowly, I often hear a squealing noise until the clutch is fully released (engaged). Letting the clutch engage more quickly can prevent the squealing, but it is difficult to modulate throttle and clutch release to prevent squealing. Once the clutch is fully engaged there is no slippage, and the squealing noise does not occur in other gears. After reading many posts regarding clutch noises, I'm guessing I might have oil on the clutch from a leaking rear main seal, but I've seen no oil on the garage floor. The odometer quit working at some point under previous ownership. Just guessing... car might have 40k miles on it.

Does this sound like a clutch and rear main seal replacement might be needed?

·
Premium Member
22,989 Posts
Normally that's the input shaft and the pilot bushing moving at different speeds. When you have the car in gear, clutch in, the input and clutch disk are stationary. Once you start to let the clutch out the input shaft starts to turn, accelerating to the speed of the crankshaft. It's a bronze oilite or similar bushing, usually self-lubed, though normally you put grease on it when you do a clutch job. But that grease isn't going to stay there happy for zillions of miles, so eventually it starts to squeal a bit. Not a problem in most cases other than bothering you. Slow and easy engagement usually minimizes it.

Does the clutch slip on steep hills? If not you're probably OK. Does the clutch pedal have a nice in-out feel, firm with an "on the cam" feel? A little hard to explain. Once the friction disk gets very thing the engagement springs work differently and it'll have a less robust feel, a sort of mushy feel. And if it's slipping, change it before it start digging into the flywheel.
Andrew

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Normally that's the input shaft and the pilot bushing moving at different speeds. When you have the car in gear, clutch in, the input and clutch disk are stationary. Once you start to let the clutch out the input shaft starts to turn, accelerating to the speed of the crankshaft. It's a bronze oilite or similar bushing, usually self-lubed, though normally you put grease on it when you do a clutch job. But that grease isn't going to stay there happy for zillions of miles, so eventually it starts to squeal a bit. Not a problem in most cases other than bothering you. Slow and easy engagement usually minimizes it.

Does the clutch slip on steep hills? If not you're probably OK. Does the clutch pedal have a nice in-out feel, firm with an "on the cam" feel? A little hard to explain. Once the friction disk gets very thing the engagement springs work differently and it'll have a less robust feel, a sort of mushy feel. And if it's slipping, change it before it start digging into the flywheel.
Andrew
Andrew, thanks for this info. Strangely, I've found that quicker engagement, lower revs, minimizes the squealing. Very touchy though. I have not noticed any clutch slippage and the pedal seems to have a nice feel.

·
Premium Member
22,989 Posts
OK. I'd monitor, see if it changes but it's just one of those things, in my experience. Cars like BMWs that have a ball bearing in there wouldn't make the noise, presumably.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
5,874 Posts
Cars like BMWs that have a ball bearing in there wouldn't make the noise, presumably.
You ought to hear them after they run out of grease in the bearing.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts