Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this 91 spider from my cousin and have been restoring it. It came to my attention that there was a certain "activation code" or something required for the stereo to work. If i could figure it out that would be sweet! Ive been told that you only get about 3 tries before it locks up. Ill attach a picture of the stereo, im not sure the make and model but hopefully somebody can help me out! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Try this thread... there's a phone number in it. It's quite old so I don't know if the info is still good, but it's a place to start
http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/spider-1966-up/170946-1992-radio-code.html

1. Check the trunk
2. Check this thread http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/mila...adio-code.html
3. Check this phone number taken from the thread listed above (from 2009)
". . . this has come up before. call Ruth Ann at Alfa parts with the serial # of the radio and she can give you the code.
800-890-ALFA or 510-525-9435"

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have my radio code but if I enter it incorrectly, the radio locks up and won't accept any more inputs. Does anyone know how to reset this condition?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
what does the display read when you turn on the radio?
If it reads "431" then hold the am/fm button down for several seconds...........this might bring up the "code" display flashing on screen, then try entering the code (another guy with a 92 spider original radio/cassette tried this)

If not, it is likely now in lock out mode ("3 strikes and you're out", kind-a-thing!)
Sometimes just leaving the radio on for 24 hours will reset this.....
Sometimes the display has to read "code in" (if you can get that far), then U wait 24 hours.....

only then try to enter the correct code.

If that doesn't work, then you need to get the serial # off it and for sure someone out there will ahve a trick to cure the problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Holding the AM/FM button for several seconds worked. Thanks for the help.

My radio was locked the display showed the 4 digit code I entered. The code was not the correct code, I was off in one digit (Fat Fingered it). I tried removing power for 24 hours but when I reapplied power, the incorrect code I entered was stilll there and the radio continued to be locked. However, I then tried depressing the "AM/FM" button for several seconds and the radio unlocked and the word "CODe" was displayed. Entering the correct code then unlocked the radio. Thanks for the advice.

what does the display read when you turn on the radio?
If it reads "431" then hold the am/fm button down for several seconds...........this might bring up the "code" display flashing on screen, then try entering the code (another guy with a 92 spider original radio/cassette tried this)

If not, it is likely now in lock out mode ("3 strikes and you're out", kind-a-thing!)
Sometimes just leaving the radio on for 24 hours will reset this.....
Sometimes the display has to read "code in" (if you can get that far), then U wait 24 hours.....

only then try to enter the correct code.

If that doesn't work, then you need to get the serial # off it and for sure someone out there will ahve a trick to cure the problem!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Radio codes for old Alfa

Per the above thread:

Call Ruth Ann at Alfa parts with the serial # of the radio and she can give you the code. 800-890-ALFA or 510-525-9435

She has codes for Clarion models, you need the serial number from the head unit (which may require removing the unit from the car to find) and the year.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts