Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have some issues with the car I purchased this past spring, please advise if you can help or suggest where to get parts required . The previous owner was obviously having problems
and has been messing with some of the wiring, much of which we have been able to return to new.

speedo and tachometer not working: mechanic says I may need the entire cluster ( where can I get this) or just the tachometer if that can be purchased separately .

AC cycle switch grounded: mechanic says he believes the 4pin ( on/off?) AC cycle switch is grounded but not 100% sure. one of the 4 pins is grounded and he's not sure if that is
normal or failure of the switch.

Any help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
Welcome to the BB and congrats on getting the Alfa!

Speedometer:

Did you check fuse 7, 10amp? It controls the speedometer.

If the fuse is in good order, you might just need a new speedometer cable. This is a common issue at this age. It is connected to the transmission and the sending unit. Here is a picture of the tranny connection. Follow it to the sending unit.

at transmission.jpg

If you need a new one (thats my bet) they are available at usual suppliers, but make sure you get the one for your 1991, the previous years are different lengths.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/catalog/speedo-cable-spider-1991-94-lower

This is for both the cable and sending unit. I couldnt find just the cable but I am sure they sell them separately. Dont be afraid of ordering from the UK. They are fast and usually the same price as North American suppliers.

EN201 SPIDER 1990-93 SPEEDOMETER SENDER UNIT AND CABLE - Classic Alfa

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
You need air conditioning in a Spider in Newfoundland?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You need air conditioning in a Spider in Newfoundland?

Only use this in the summer and yes we need AC here too , not all the time but required. I have AC in all my vehicles except my airplane and the boat, well don't need it on the skidoo either .

I guess you wouldn't need a heater in your car SC. then , if I'm to think along your lines, right?

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
Only use this in the summer and yes we need AC here too , not all the time but required. I have AC in all my vehicles except my airplane and the boat, well don't need it on the skidoo either .

I guess you wouldn't need a heater in your car SC. then , if I'm to think along your lines, right?
I like AC too, but dont get your hopes up about how good it works.

These AC units were installed at the ports upon arrival and not that powerfull. Barely takes the edge off (top down of course), but better than nothing.

By the way, is that dog a Newfoundland?

Vin

·
Premium Member
13,104 Posts
I have a heater but no air conditioning. I rarely drive with the top up.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
fuse 8: power to speedo itself/gas tank gauge/voltmeter (battery volt gauge)
fuse 7: power to speedo impulse sender/heater blower/back up lights etc

easy way to check both: IGN on and check does the gas tank gauge work & does the heater fan work?
if yes to both, then both fuses are good and your problem lies elsewhere.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I like AC too, but dont get your hopes up about how good it works.

These AC units were installed at the ports upon arrival and not that powerfull. Barely takes the edge off (top down of course), but better than nothing.

By the way, is that dog a Newfoundland?

Vin
In all fairness it's not about needing the AC as much as solving the fuse tripping issue. I personally like the little vent window that one can angle in to direct air over the
occupants .

That is not a Newfoundland dog nor a Labrador as the province is Newfoundland & Labrador ( NL) . It's a Border collie from Ohio actually, she dearly loves the weather here though.:wink2:

·
Premium Member
3,517 Posts
That is not a Newfoundland dog nor a Labrador as the province is Newfoundland & Labrador ( NL) . It's a Border collie from Ohio actually, she dearly loves the weather here though.:wink2:
Wow, sure looks like the Newfoundland breed. Beautiful dog anyways.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fuse 8: power to speedo itself/gas tank gauge/voltmeter (battery volt gauge)
fuse 7: power to speedo impulse sender/heater blower/back up lights etc

easy way to check both: IGN on and check does the gas tank gauge work & does the heater fan work?
if yes to both, then both fuses are good and your problem lies elsewhere.
Thanks so much, will check that fuse . I know for sure the gas tank gauge goes out and I believe the heater fan is out too.
I've blown this fuse several times now, need to find out why . We have fixed several wiring issues, hoping this may resolve
all the problems. Will check it out and let you know, thanks again.

Robert

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, sure looks like the Newfoundland breed. Beautiful dog anyways.

Good luck,

Vin
Newfoundland dogs are big, slobbery teddy-bears except they have webbed feet . I do a lot of mountain biking and hiking and need an active dog so the Border collie is a great fit for me.

Newfoundland dogs are also ALL black and do not resemble the Border Collies in any way other than the long thick coats. Some Border collies are black but none as big as the Newfoundland
dog, they are quite large indeed .

·
But Mad North-Northwest
9,865 Posts
Cigarette lighter's on the same fuse as the blower, I think. What often happens is the connections in it get bent from using a plug-in power adapter or something and it shorts out. Inspect the lighter socket, or disconnect it completely and see if the fuse stops blowing.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Just to add my three cents....... Our '84 Spider has heat and ac. Here in SE Florida, I've never used the heat, although it works perfectly. But, we do need the ac, even in the winter. We rarely use the car due to the low mileage, especially in the summer. On the occasion we want to use it for a nice drive and dinner out, the ac comes in handy on the way there. And then, even in the summer, well put the top down for a nice cruise up the Intracoastal or beach roads for the ride home. And take the long way, of course. Same in winter also.
As for the ac unit, ours kicks ***!! Works perfect to the point of having to turn it down to 2 or 1 due to how cold it gets. Maybe as the mileage goes up, and it useage goes up, it might change. But we love it. One of the reasons we bought it. Sorry to digress......
😎

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just to add my three cents....... Our '84 Spider has heat and ac. Here in SE Florida, I've never used the heat, although it works perfectly. But, we do need the ac, even in the winter. We rarely use the car due to the low mileage, especially in the summer. On the occasion we want to use it for a nice drive and dinner out, the ac comes in handy on the way there. And then, even in the summer, well put the top down for a nice cruise up the Intracoastal or beach roads for the ride home. And take the long way, of course. Same in winter also.
As for the ac unit, ours kicks ***!! Works perfect to the point of having to turn it down to 2 or 1 due to how cold it gets. Maybe as the mileage goes up, and it useage goes up, it might change. But we love it. One of the reasons we bought it. Sorry to digress......
😎
Well, one thing I can say with confidence, "I do not need A/C during our winter." Don't even need the heat as the car will be in storage. My fun vehicle during the winter is my Skidoo climbing mountains and smashing through the powder. I don't have A/C on the sled, with the top down, it's just right. :laugh2:

Good to know the A/C can work ok, will make sure that is working when I need it again, that will be a few months away now though. First I have to enjoy winter. :grin2:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cigarette lighter's on the same fuse as the blower, I think. What often happens is the connections in it get bent from using a plug-in power adapter or something and it shorts out. Inspect the lighter socket, or disconnect it completely and see if the fuse stops blowing.
Tks, yet another thing to check. Need some fuses and I should be good to do a few systems checks. I'll get there. :smile2:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Of course, everyone will have an opinion on AC and heaters in spyders. I have both. IN the winter, the car was in storage, and in the summer, I drive with the roof down, so in reality both are as necessary as tits on a bull. With the roof down, at speeds of over 25 mph or so, you don't even get wet in the rain..just don't slow down or stop. Spyders are sports cars, not Detroit tanks. Drive them as they were designed to be driven!!!>:)>:)

·
Registered
844 Posts
Too check the speedo, disconnect the cable going to "box". Get a drill and a square bit and fire it up in the box. Turn the ignition on, if you get it up to 30mph it is the cable. Ask me how I know, very common. If it is the electrical box that creates the signal, it may be cheaper to buy a cheap GPS that displays your speed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts