Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A minor thing, but my problem list is down to minor things now :clown: So the darn clock doesn't work. I haven't found a replacement, at least on eBay, and I've seen some speedometer repair shops that claim they can repair, but I hate to get into an expensive repair when we're talking just a clock here. Any quirks or easy fixes I should know about or should I leave good enough alone for now? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
The S4 analogue clocks are usually very reliable so it is odd yours has given up the ghost!

It's wired thru fuse #4...don't presume the clock fuse is good just cause the clock illuminates with the lights on......the illumination itself is not on fuse 4. If the brake lights work then fuse 4 is good.
Have you checked the wiring at the connector plug behind the clock? a wire hasn't popped out or something? it is very easy to pry off the plastic surround and it comes away with clock and blower switch (and the 2 illumination lights for the heater slide control, which will likely pop off in the process!)

they do turn up once in a while on ebay or on the BB classifieds, but they are generally quite expensive when you find them, I'd guess as expensive as having it repaired (100 $ plus)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dom. So the plastic surrounding the clock from the outside should be pried off? I haven't taken anything apart on the dash before and don't want to damage anything. Fuse four is good as well and the brake lights work fine too. So I'm hoping for a loose wire as you suggested.

·
Registered
10,121 Posts
yes, by that I mean the whole plastic "fascia" (photo) pries off - use a small screwdriver - and comes out with the clock attached.....you need to pull off the heater slide knobs.. you can then maneuver the fascia out and up over the gearstick.....there are clips left and right, top and bottom...once you have one clip released, the others follow.....just be careful not to snap anything!

Attachments

·
Registered
554 Posts
i have a spare S4 clock around here somewhere. It works but the face is sunburned.

also if you can "feel" the back of the clock through the shift boot, you may be able to push the clock out without removing the facia.

·
Premium Member
3,877 Posts
I am always worried that I will break that shift plate and its not cheap to replace so if I want just the clock out, I pull one of the carpets in the footwell and push the clock out from the back.

When you get that clock out, make sure that all the wires are still connected.

Mine had a wire break free.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Registered
159 Posts
I am always worried that I will break that shift plate and its not cheap to replace so if I want just the clock out, I pull one of the carpets in the footwell and push the clock out from the back.

When you get that clock out, make sure that all the wires are still connected.

Mine had a wire break free.

Good luck,

Vin
Doing work on the console and the clock stopped. The fuse is good #4 courtesy lights work so there are 3 wires correct. The red had pulled out so I reattached and it worked but now it's not. do you recall the red one goes? Right outside or left? I traced the wires under the console and it looks like the red goes the big connector and the black and white goes to a yellow connector which is is just hanging there and can't find where it goes.Looks like the other wires to the yellow connector may be for the heated window. Also the low setting on the fan appears to have stopped but high does.

·
Registered
'84 Spider Veloce
757 Posts
Check your brake lights! I thought I had bum clock - so what, I'll fix it some other time - and only later learned i'd been driving for two months with no brake lights.

Could have been DISASTROUS!

David O'D
Laguna CA

PS You can easily get a clock from Larry at Alfa Parts Exchange.

·
Registered
159 Posts
The clock works but the problem was the insert for the red/black wire in the connector. It wasn't secure in the connector hence the clock would not operate consistently. I tried to get the insert to better seat into the connector but it popped out of the pliers and is nowhere to be found. If anyone knows where to find a new connector or has any ideas for replacing the metal insert I'm listening.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Alfa accessory electrical accessories are a hoot. That analog clock in the S4. Dated even by '91 standards! The S3 was at least up to date. :)

And no wonder these things never work well - they are connected so oddly. I've never been able to plug any type of accessory into the cigarette lighter and have it work. Never. In all my alfas.

And the power window switch. I can't tell if it's art or the most needlessly complicated switching mechanism ever. It's a thing of beauty but wow. It's just beggging to break.

·
Registered
865 Posts
My girlfriends new Jetta has an "analog" clock on a digital screen. I have seen this on several other new cars. I do wear an analog watch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts