Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering where I could get a convertible top boot in tan for my 1991 Alfa Spider? I keep seeing them offered in black but not in tan. I have also noticed they sell some clips that go with this but how do I know what I need?
Thanks, Dan

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
is your model a veloce? for some reason it is hard to find the tan boot cover that came with the veloce. i found one from a guy in canada and paid $500 USD.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Have any pictures of the top boot? I have seen two different size boots and wondered why. Maybe it was the way it was photographed but one of the boots looked too small to fit a 1991 Spider.

Dan

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
i will try and take some pics tomorrow - veloce gets the "hard" boot cover that is much nicer.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
i saw the boot cover on ebay - it will fit - i think the tan would look 1,000 times better.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I think all S4 spiders are veloces (at least in the US).
The major differences are the phone dial wheels, a/c, and the leather seats with "suede" (alcantara) inserts. (Maybe power mirrors too?)

My 92 did not have the top boot when I bought it, I ended up buying a black leather top boot (ebay) that is designed for earlier spiders. I like the way it looks and its a lot less "fussy" than the big one that was original on the S4. Remember that you have to take the boot off every time you want to raise the top, it can get to be a PIA after a while.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
All series 4 Spiders are not Veloces... One quick way to tell is to look inside the trunk, at the carpeted door/panel that houses the jack. If it's a Veloce, it will have the Alfa emblem embossed on the panel carpet... (The badges on the back of the car will also say if is a Veloce, unless they have been removed.) Just FYI - all Spiders came with a boot cover.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
AFAIK, the US (Canada & Japan too) is the only country in which Alfa offered the Spider Veloce trim level.

Differences between Veloce and non-Veloce: As you may know, they are mostly cosmetical and unlike 750/101 Veloce vs. Normale, nothing is different in the mechanical department. With those infamously heavy 15" wheels, Veloces may even be slower than non-Veloces...

• Wheels: 15" phonedial vs. 14" steel w/ plastic full cover (or daytona-ish 5-spoke wheel as an option)
  • Seats: Partially leather in Veloce, vinyl simulated leather in non-Veloce
  • Top: Canvas vs. vinyl
  • Top boot: it's been discussed earlier in this thread
  • Alfa emblem embossed on the trunk carpet (Enrique mentioned this in the previous post)
  • Script on the rear valance: SPIDER VELOCE vs. SPIDER (also mentioned by Enrique)
Hmmm, there should be more but I can't think of anything else right now. Other BB members should be able to point them out for you. I will look at the sales brochure I have in my Cardisc and add more info here (if I find anything).

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
All series 4 Spiders are not Veloces... One quick way to tell is to look inside the trunk, at the carpeted door/panel that houses the jack. If it's a Veloce, it will have the Alfa emblem embossed on the panel carpet... (The badges on the back of the car will also say if is a Veloce, unless they have been removed.) Just FYI - all Spiders came with a boot cover.

Best regards,
I'm well aware that there was such a thing as a "non veloce" spider. My point, which I didn't make very well, is that I'm not sure many, or any, were sold in the US. FWIW, I've never seen one.

I'm also well aware that all spiders came with a top boot. When I bought my spider (not new) it did not have a top boot.

Back to the original point of the thread, I don't think it matters whether your Spider is a Veloce or not. If you like and want the "Veloce" top boot I think that it will fit regardless.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts