Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been putting up with my airbag lite being on long enough I can't remember what started it. Any how recently decided to try and reset it. Armed with on line TSB instructions I performed the procedure and found fault code 42, Airbag lite inop. Well I know it is working or how did I read codes.
So, I read reset procedure and after 4 times I was unsuccessful. I am posting the following procedure that did work which I stumbled on. It might work only for my car or code 42 error.

1. When the fault memory is empty, and the AIRBAG warning light is flashing 12-12-12 again (indicating "end of codes"), disconnect the jumper wire at the test connector for 3 seconds.

2. Re-connect the jumper wire at the test connector for 3 seconds.

3. Remove the jumper wire from the test connector, and quickly turn off the ignition key.

Modify step 3. to read ' Remove the jumper wire from the test connector, ABS lite will flash 12 code and then turn off the ignition key.

4. Wait 10 seconds, then turn on the ignition key to allow the airbag ECU to test the system. If there are no faults present, the AIRBAG warning light will come on with the key, then go off after 5-8 seconds, and remain off. If there are still faults present in the system, the AIRBAG warning light will come on with the key, go of f after 5-8 seconds, then begin flashing again. If the AIRBAG warning light begins to flash immediately after turning on the ignition key, the previous fault codes HAVE NOT BEEN CLEARED.

5 If the AIRBAG warning light flashes again indicating that there are one or more faults present in the system, extract the fault code(s), repair the fault(s), and clear the fault memory again.

Good Luck
Gary in Texas

·
Premium Member
27,001 Posts
Are you sure both bulbs are working? The air bag light icon has two bulbs so is air bag icon fully lite? I am just guessing that if one bulb burned out you maybe could get a code 42.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought same. Both bulbs working.
It was the reset procedure I can't explain. After using the modified step 3; lite reset and has so far stayed off.
G in Texas

1 - 3 of 3 Posts