Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
USA/CDN 1991-93 Alfa 164 wiring diagram for Lamps - Position, Side Marker, Dash and Tag
Reference: 164 1991 Wiring manual USA/CDN Volume 1 Pages 496-500

The tail lights, front parking lights, side marker lights, tag lights, and dash lights are controlled by the N41 60552649 A131 CLR/AR Parking Lamps Control Unit 6-pin relay located under dash to the right of ignition switch.

If tail lights, side markers, tag lights and dash lights do not work then N41 parking light control unit relay near radio is usually bad.

Now rotary dimmer switch B16 in speedometer bezel can be a secondary issue if only dash lights not working.

see attached pdf wiring diagrams part 1 includes 1/2 of position/marker, dash dimmer and instrument lights circuit and part 2 shows 1/2 of position/marker, tag lights and position (parking) light icon if 5-speed model.

Fuse F11 top fuse is located in fifth column over from left side of MAIN G1 fuse box. F1 and F2 are the 3rd and 4th fuses down in that same 5th column.
F11 fuse supplies energizing power to N41 relay parking lamps CU pin 4 and turn signal relay I24 when key on.

With key on and parking lamp button on panel above a/c panel on check with a test lamp probe tool for power at both F11, NOW if F1 and F2 fuses not powered N41 it is probably bad.

If N41 working with key on and parking lamps button pushed on in panel above A/C , pin 6 yellow-black wire will send power to F1 and F2 fuses. You can get same result with key on and headlight switch B4 rotated to parking lamps or headlights.

If not:
1. Remove N41 relay and with key on check that N41 pin 4 socket pink wire from F11 fuse has power with key on.
2. Check for 12v battery power (hot at all times) N41 to pin 2 socket red wire (If starter works then pin 2 should be hot, too.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Any idea why low beam indicator lamp wouldn't illuminate in dash panel but headlights switch on and dash bulb works test button?
Low beam icon and parking light icon are two separate icons.

If A/T model low beam lights indicator replaced by red icon for A/T temp/cooler fan.

If 5 speed 164, then maybe bulb burned out for that low beam light icon.

If low beam indicator icon works with test button test but not headlight switch wiring issue somewhere. Low beam fuse F4 controls both dash icon and left headlight I49 relay. If fuse bad I would think left low beam would be out, too.

Report your findings.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Low beam icon and parking light icon are two separate icons.

If A/T model low beam lights indicator replaced by red icon for A/T temp/cooler fan.

If 5 speed 164, then maybe bulb burned out for that low beam light icon.

If low beam indicator icon works with test button test but not headlight switch wiring issue somewhere. Low beam fuse F4 controls both dash icon and left headlight I49 relay. If fuse bad I would think left low beam would be out, too.

Report your findings.
Manual 5 speed euro model (so early wiring in cardisc manual) parking light bulb works fine, my issue is just the low beam indicator, blue with white stripe and grey wires on headlight stalk connector make circuit when low beam is switched on, the headlights come on too, so they have power, just the dashboard warning light for low beam does not, both rh and lh fuses are in tact and low beam warning light comes on with test button

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Manual 5 speed euro model (so early wiring in cardisc manual) parking light bulb works fine, my issue is just the low beam indicator, blue with white stripe and grey wires on headlight stalk connector make circuit when low beam is switched on, the headlights come on too, so they have power, just the dashboard warning light for low beam does not, both rh and lh fuses are in tact and low beam warning light comes on with test button
Well you have different Euro wiring diagram on your cardisc CD/DVD than my DVD. I can't find those wire colors for low beam indicator. As for USA early and late wiring diagrams the low beam indicator icon is gray-black and goes from G1 fuse box fuse F4 output to C10 instrument panel connector C pin 9.

The gray power low beam headlight wire goes from B4 headlight stack goes to power input side of F4 fuse in G1 fuse box.
No where do I see a blue-white wire in USA wiring. Does it go to low beam indicator icon in your wiring diagram?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well you have different Euro wiring diagram on your cardisc CD/DVD than my DVD. I can't find those wire colors for low beam indicator. As for USA early and late wiring diagrams the low beam indicator icon is gray-black and goes from G1 fuse box fuse F4 output to C10 instrument panel connector C pin 9.

The gray power low beam headlight wire goes from B4 headlight stack goes to power input side of F4 fuse in G1 fuse box.
No where do I see a blue-white wire in USA wiring. Does it go to low beam indicator icon in your wiring diagram?
Cannot find blue/white wire in my diagram either, it's just on that same connector that the grey wire is on the very right hand side and the two seem to be connected when the low beam switch is engaged, the same happens with the mean beam wire and this blue/what wire when main beam is engaged, that made me assume it was a ground and it disappears into the back of the fuse box also.

I have a grey wire to fuse box and a grey/black wire to instrument panel, these are in tact as the multimeter beeps when testing continuity from the grey wire at the headlight switch to the grey and black wire at the instrument panel.

I tried putting 12v through the instrument panel ground pin and then another corresponding pin for a bulb as well, but that doesn't work, I guess the panel has to be energised or go through the arcu before it will light up a bulb.

I'm running out of ideas here, I thought with the dash out you would be able to trace a wiring fault, but there just doesn't seem to be anything wrong, it's obviously grounding as all the other indicator lights in the instrument panel are working, the bulb is working, we knew that already and there is continuity from the grey connector on the column up to the gray and black connector for the instrument panel. Fuses ok, headlights work (at least before I pulled the dash out they were working) can the 4 wires for ignition coming from the ignition barrel cause issues like this?. Mine are rough and I will be fixing them, someone absolutely botched them in the past

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can you live without working low beam indicator? Are you getting 12v in grey black wire to C10 C connector pin 4 with heads lights on?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I can live without it, I have been for the 3 years I have had old red, just figured with the dash out now's the time to fix, looks like it will need power to diagnose further though?

It did go through a period of working for about a week at one point, then just stopped again.

Did you mean pin 9 grey&black or pin 4 grey?

It would be nice to sort it, if for nothing but my OCD's sake lol

Attachments

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I can live without it, I have been for the 3 years I have had old red, just figured with the dash out now's the time to fix, looks like it will need power to diagnose further though?

It did go through a period of working for about a week at one point, then just stopped again.

Did you mean pin 9 grey&black or pin 4 grey?

It would be nice to sort it, if for nothing but my OCD's sake lol
C10 cluster C connector pin 9 gray-black wire receiving power from F4 fuse in G1 fuse box for low beam icon. I suspect that connection point C9 bad.
Now B66 A connector pin 4 headlight stalk is sending power in gray wire to G1 to power F4 fuse.

·
Registered
63 Posts
C10 cluster C connector pin 9 gray-black wire receiving power from F4 fuse in G1 fuse box for low beam icon. I suspect that connection point C9 bad.
Now B66 A connector pin 4 headlight stalk is sending power in gray wire to G1 to power F4 fuse.
I see, do you know why sending 12v through C10 c pin 9 and earth didn't illuminate the bulb? I tried this with few other connections which I know are working on the instrument panel and they didn't do anything either. Does the instrument panel need to be energised through the ignition or the arcu before it will display anything? There is no continuity between any of the pins for the bulbs in the dash panel other than the grounds, that made me think it goes through something else first?

I'll try putting 12v through b66 pin 4 and see if it makes its way to C10 c pin 9

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In C10 cluster connector C pin 9 low beam icon is grounded by connector D pin 12 gry-blk wire. So if you ground D pin 12 and put 12v to C pin 9 low beam icon should light up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
In C10 cluster connector C pin 9 low beam icon is grounded by connector D pin 12 gry-blk wire. So if you ground D pin 12 and put 12v to C pin 9 low beam icon should light up.
Tried that positive to C pin 9 and negative to D pin 12, no light, are there any other dash lights that go through ground on pin 12 so I can check that the it's working, that way I can verify if it's a connection on the board or not

·
Premium Member
27,526 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A2 high beams icon , C8 position tail lights icon, A6 right turn indicator, A7 left turn indicator are a few.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts