Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am experiencing issues with my radiator fan motor performance.
The fan kicks on with horrible squeelin noises.That problem is a worn out front bearing causing the fan blades not to run true.Is it possible to have the unit rebuilt cost effectively or is it best to buy the unit new out there?

There is a good chance of overheat at idle or slow traffic conditions unless the heater fan is run at full max. When running the heater fan at full heat and in conjunction with the radiator fan kicking in for 15 seconds at around a 2 minute cycle the system just avoids boil over and overheat. I am considering wiring up a manual fan override switch so I can see how many seconds and at what interval makes the idle temp proper without the use of the heater blower inside the car. I am aware that the thermostat
could be faulty and or the o22 resistor could be contributing to the situation of too much idle(slow traffic) temperature.

Thanks,
Harv

·
Super Moderator
11,132 Posts
Harvey:

I had the same problem last summer. See the thread I started at http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/167193-cooling-fan-substitute.html

You're "lucky" your fan motor is giving you a warning that it's on its way out - mine failed unexpectedly, and I had to limp home. The bearings at the backs of these motors get cooked by their proximity to the front exhaust manifold. Yea, mine had the heat shield in place, but over time, the lubricant still got baked out.

Bottom line: people told me the motors can be rebuilt, but instead I installed an aftermarket fan. The thread referenced above details how I did it.

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
Sounds like these bearings need the special high temp lube that Jason can supply in the serpentine belt idler bearing. The high temperature situation that can occur in the 164 engine compartment is the source of at least several different component failures we have all experienced.

·
Premium Member
27,288 Posts
If cooling fan motor bearing screaming and you repair it before it fails completely you maybe be home free.

Repair before complete failure. manual switch won't help once motor bearings bad.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Electrically the fan seems Ok

I believe that electrically I am good on the fan. The fan when running moves a bunch of hot air away from the radiator.I do not have a clue where to get the bearings that are toasted.Does anyone have a source for these
bearings.

Thanks,
Harv

·
Premium Member
27,288 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,152 Posts
if you Google the web for Pennsylvania bearing suppliers, you will find quite a few. Don't know if any of them are in your area to visit. Also don't know if there is a serial or part number on the outer race of one of these bearings, but if there should be, and if there is, you use that to provide the bearing identification to a bearing outlet for replacements. Otherwise you have to carefully measure the bearing (OD and ID and width).

·
Premium Member
27,288 Posts
if you Google the web for Pennsylvania bearing suppliers, you will find quite a few. Don't know if any of them are in your area to visit. Also don't know if there is a serial or part number on the outer race of one of these bearings, but if there should be, and if there is, you use that to provide the bearing identification to a bearing outlet for replacements. Otherwise you have to carefully measure the bearing (OD and ID and width).
Part numbers and measurements in my links above. But if that is to hard to do here is info from one of the links:
Bearings for 164 cooling fan motor

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This company has them: http://www.applied.com/catalog/ma/catalog.do Do a search for 6200, starts with, and SKF USA
and you get this result:

Catalog #MA6368005
Mfr#: 6200 2RSJEM SKF USA Light 6200 Series Deep Groove Ball Bearing
10 mm ID x 30 mm OD x 9 mm Wide; Double Sealed (Contact); ABEC 1; Steel Cage; C3 Clearance; Deep Groove Design
Weight: 0.071 lbs
Applied MA 2006 Catalog Page: 283

Catalog # MA6368096
Mfr#: 6200 2ZJEM SKF USA Light 6200 Series Deep Groove Ball Bearing
10 mm ID x 30 mm OD x 9 mm Wide; Double Shielded (Non-Contact); ABEC 1; Steel Cage; C3 Clearance; Deep Groove Design
Weight: 0.071 lbs
Applied MA 2006 Catalog Page: 283

Another bearing I got from them is a NTN 6200LLUC3 which is bearing with rubber seals and one I use on front of cooling fan to help keep water out of bearing in the rain.

This 6200 series size bearing also fits the motor on my Sears Craftsmen table saw.

http://www.applied.com/catalog/ma/catalog.do

1 - 8 of 8 Posts