Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
So I have finally purchased my first alfa, but before I express how in love I am with the car I need a couple of questions answered. The rev counter on the instrument cluster has stopped working completely and I was wondering if anybody could point me in the right direction as to where and what I should check in order to properly diagnose this. Secondly the gas gauge on the cluster is also having some issues reading accurately, it fluctuates every so often the amount of fuel it says I have in my tank. If anyone has advice on what to check that would be great, thanks!

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
"Secondly the gas gauge on the cluster is also having some issues reading accurately, it fluctuates every so often the amount of fuel it says I have in my tank"

Well, yeah. There can be two causes for the fluctuations.

One is that the indicated level varies somewhat depending on whether the nose of the car is pointed up (reads more) or down reads less). Just the way it is designed I guess. You have to live with that.

Second, after a while (a few years), the gas gauge can start reading about 1/4 tank less than is really in the tank. Evidently the sending unit contacts get contaminated/dirty and won't read correctly much of the time. The one in my LS did this a few years ago, and I ended up changing the sender. I had tried checking and cleaning all the appropriate contacts, to no avail. The one in my 91S has just started this at 167k miles and I haven't decided whether to try to fix/clean it (has anyone done this successfully?), or just replace it with another used one.

Actually, since the 91S is my daily driver, meaning that I never drive too far at any given time, I may just live with it. The LS, being our trip car, really needed a more accurate gauge (such as it is, lol).

I found that changing the sender in the LS tank was a pain, mostly because the outside dia of the plastic sender body was just about the same as the hole in the tank, and I could get the sender up just a little bit, and then it would get stuck. Took some work to get it out the rest of the way.

·
Registered
9,977 Posts
I'd start by cleaning and re-seating the connectors on the instrument cluster and see if that helps. The tachometer gets it's input from the engine ECU, so my guess is that's good. Could be a failure of the dash tach itself. If so, I think you can just replace the tach motor in the cluster without replacing the entire panel and losing your original odometer. Should be the same part regardless of L or S model.

On the fuel gauge, I'd start by cleaning and re-seating the electrical leads to the fuel quantity sender in the trunk.

Here's a picture of the tachometer motor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,166 Posts
"On the fuel gauge, I'd start by cleaning and re-seating the electrical leads to the fuel quantity sender in the trunk"

Good start. Hopefully that works for him, as it sure didn't for me.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I have had alot of 164s and never had a tachometer problem, that is a rare one for a 164, I had a speedometer problem once, turned out to be a failing sending unit

Fuel level problems, replace the sending unit, access via boot under the main carpet towards the rear, next to fuel pump, remove and put in new one, plug and play

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright I will look into all of those things and post an update of what I can figure out as soon as I get back from vacation. The gulf is beautiful right now! Thank you for the advice fellas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts