Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to the Alfa world. I am working on a 1991 Alfa 164S. The engine was rebuilt by a local shop, than caught on fire in the engine valley around the fuel rail. The wiring for the fuel injectors was repaired and spark plug wires replaced. Now it has a miss. I have narrowed it down to cylinders #2 and #3. Where can i find wiring diagrams, firing order, any ideas? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Has it run right since the repair after the fire?
The ECU triggers all the injectors at once. All of the injector wiring is connected if you go back far enough.
Pull the plugs and check them.
Pull the distributor cap. Check for cracks and bad terminals. Check the carbon button in the middle. Check the rotor. My 164B is starting to miss again because it burns oil and needs plugs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No it has not run right. I got it after an attempt on repairs had been made, plugs are new and in good condition, the same with the cap and rotor. It does have strong spark, and has 100 psi of compression cold on cylinders 1, 2, 3.

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
Compression is down a little on those cylinders. What is compression on the others?
Have you checked the timing, using the gage?

·
Premium Member
27,524 Posts
Welcome to alfaBB. Here is some of our maintenance tips: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164...alfa-164-alfisto-steves-maintenance-tips.html

Jiggle injectors connectors to see if you can get rid of miss.

See one on cam timing pdf template and one on engine sparkplug wiring order.

See this on finding Top dead center on fro t crank pulley: http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/265321-post1.html

Compression reading a bit low should be above 180 maybe as high as 210.

Pull rear plugs actually pull all plugs when doing compression test.

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Doesn't hurt to spray or drip a little oil through the sparkplug holes before checking compression. This helps seal/lube the rings as running the engine does to give a more proper compression value. I've seen differences of at least 100 psi between not doing this and adding a little oil.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts