Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back again. It's been a while since I've messed with my 1991 164S 3.0 12V MT; took a hiatus from hobbies to focus on taking school full-time.

Since I’ve acquired the car, I have replaced the starter, battery, and fuel filter, cleaned out the MAF/Throttle body, intake manifold, and runner pipes (gave the chrome a much needed polishing), replaced any gaskets I had to remove, dropped the tank and had it vatted and recoated, and rebuilt the fuel pump and wiring for it. Then the car sits for a bit, (about 3-4ish months) the battery discharged, and this is where I believe I’ve made a potentially-fatal mistake.

I hook up my dad’s automatic battery charger, set it to Engine Start (55A/12V). I had gotten so eager to finally see this engine turn over, that without a proper understanding of car electrics, I am greeted by a burnt smell coming from behind the glove box.

I know mechanical, but I should have done more research into electrical.

So I did the right thing. I took the battery out of the trunk, deep cycle charged it on the work bench overnight, and rewired it the next day. Read 12.4v when I took it off.

Fuel pump works (the hose to the fuel filter I didn’t tighten enough informed me of that. Also the fuel came out slightly red...). Headlights work. Door locks work. The starter turns, cam gears turn at a good speed, fuel is getting to the rail, but the injectors don’t open. I can occasionally get a pop from one cylinder firing but nothing else. Most of the lights on the gauge cluster that had light up before the battery mishap don’t work now. I’ve checked the fuses under the steering column, all the small colored ones looked fine, and the blockier ones don’t look singed/smell burnt, but I don’t have a circuit tester/multimeter to test with. I’ve tried to run the montronic test, but without the gauge cluster not working I got nothing. The only lights that does come are the headlight/highbeam indicators, turn signal, and the airbag light because the seats have been removed (right?)

So what would be the best way to start? Could I have damaged the ECU? I’m just completely clueless where to look, though honestly, I’m thinking I’m going to have to cover everything, end to end. I’ve done some digging in the forums for similar issues, but I’ve failed to connect any dots. Any guidance or links to what could be useful is greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
27,522 Posts
Pretty hard to advise you on a car you never had running after 9 years in storage and then 9 months since you last worked on it. Did you ever have it running? Injectors maybe stuck after that long time.

Get a test lamp probe with grounding cable and a multi meter with test leads.

get a www.cardisc.com 164 DVD manual for wiring and mechanical info.

Then test for power at ignition switch connector pink and brown wires with key on and at green-black wire at coil.

Air bag light has nothing to do with seats being out.

Also test fuses in main fuse box and small aux fuse box above main fuse box,

·
Premium Member
16,561 Posts
Lol, one thing about owning Alfas is that hopefully the owner begins to learn investigative procedures, to figure out cause and effect, how the parts and systems are tied together, trying to determine what are the simplest checks to make first. We've all been there, trust me. Even after all these decades, I still wander through the workshop manuals and parts eper, just to study potential cause and effect of what is in the cars, ie, if this acts up or doesn't work, what is it connected or wired to/from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Be sure your ground wire from the intake plenum to the engine is in good shape. It is mounted to the throttle body? From factor and is very thin and fragile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts