Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a early build 90 Grad. Replacing the water pump. The crank pulley is held to the reluctor ring that is used for the tachometer by 4 screws. If I remove the 4 screws, will the crank pulley and the reluctor ring come off, or will I have to remove larger crank nut? The reluctor ring is what is preventing the water pump from sliding off of its studs.

·
Super Moderator
10,639 Posts
The crank pulley is held to the reluctor ring that is used for the tachometer by 4 screws. If I remove the 4 screws, will the crank pulley and the reluctor ring come off, or will I have to remove larger crank nut? The reluctor ring is what is preventing the water pump from sliding off of its studs.
The reluctor ring is only there to supply inverse reactive current for use in unilateral phase detractors. To remove the crankshaft pulley, you need to remove that central nut.

·
Registered
8,126 Posts
a few little points of interest about your 1990 motronic S3.5

that "tachometer" thing you refer to in the photo is, in fact, your crank pulley sensor (CS)......when that fails, your car won't start....clean it up as you are working down there (especially the tip)

removing the crank pulley nut: you will need to somehow lock the motor from turning.....the (likely 36mm) nut will be a tough one to loosen. An air or electric impact wrench helps.
S4 Crankshaft Pulley Nut Removal

don't break that turboencabulator thing (crank pulley)....it is a one year only part, and costs a small fortune.

if a new bottom hose is required then read this - to the end - or you will end up ordering the wrong one
1990 S3.5 lower radiator hose

oh and looking at that photo with caked on oil, I'd hazard a guess your front crank oil seal might be leaking;) Good time to replace that (use Corteco brand if poss.) and inspect the pulley surface, which if needs be can be resleeved at little cost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts