Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1990 Spider Veloce in Austin, $4600

1990 Spider Veloce: I am dropping the asking price to $4600 with the hope that it is worth that to someone out there. This Alfa is in good mechanical condition, engine, transmission, exhaust system and brakes. The body is sound with no rust. The top is only a few years old. It has Power windows, power mirrors, Motronic Bosch Ignition system with on-board diagnostics and leather upholstery. Factory AC quit cooling about 6 years ago and has been ignored. Some odds and ends need attention, but nothing major. It has approximately 80000 actual miles (speedometer cable broken at one time). It drives very well and passed inspection easily on 12/30. A new car cover, full size spare and full repair manual on DVD are included. Vin: ZARBA12GXL6001640 Reply to ecsilverberg at att dot net or call 512 466-1045 and leave a message.

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi. I don´t agree that. According to " Orginal Alfa Romeo spider " by Chris Reed is written about Series 4:"It was first seen publicly at the Detroit and Los Angeles shows in January 1990 and in Europe at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1990, production actually started late in 1989".
"The essential buyer´s guide Alfa Romeo Spider" by Keith Booker & Jim Talbott write that S4 started built in 1990.

What ever I just look the ericsil´s car and the tail is from S3 so that must be -89.

Have nice weekend!

·
But Mad North-Northwest
11,023 Posts
Doublesix, you're wrong. Here in the US we got this body style through 1990, and the '90 ones are the only S3 bodied cars with Motronic fuel injection.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Sorry 66, but you are incorrect. Production started in 1990 for the fourth series of spider, the first model being the 1991 model. Any car show showcasing the new series during the year 1990 was the 1991 model. I am 100% sure of this fact. I'm sure there will be plenty of people here who own 1990 S3's to confirm this. It's hard to read, but this is a page from the 1990 sales literature. Gubi- This body style was worldwide in 1990. Everyone got the S4 in 1991.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
According to " Orginal Alfa Romeo spider " by Chris Reed is written about Series 4:"It was first seen publicly at the Detroit and Los Angeles shows in January 1990 and in Europe at the Geneva Motor Show in March 1990, production actually started late in 1989".
"The essential buyer´s guide Alfa Romeo Spider" by Keith Booker & Jim Talbott write that S4 started built in 1990.
Now you know, you can't believe everything you read! It might be just a misunderstanding though. When the say that a car is seen at a motor show, then they are showing later models. If they say it was started to be built in a certain year, it would be the next year model(usually). As far as the 4th series being built back in '89, I'd have to say that was bad information. It was a concept car in the final stages of design in '89 maybe, but not in production yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tag on the door says that this car was made in 1989; but it was sold by the Houston Dealer as a 90 and has continued throughout its life as a 90. I don't know what month the original sale took place. Sorry if I confused the issue.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
The tag on the door says that this car was made in 1989; but it was sold by the Houston Dealer as a 90 and has continued throughout its life as a 90. I don't know what month the original sale took place. Sorry if I confused the issue.
As mentioned there are some mechanical differences between an '89 and a '90, and the '90 is generally considered more desirable. I think the easiest way to tell is the engine fan; if there's a mechanical plastic fan bolted to the water pump it's an '89, if there's an electric fan it's a '90.

-Jason

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Regardless of the build date, the door plate will state that it conforms to EPA standards for 19XX year. That year is your model year.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
The book by Mr. Reed is riddled with errors. And there are posts on this BB that correctly point out some of them. Seriously, be wary of using it as an authoritative source of reference.

Best regards,

·
Registered
132 Posts
I am not too into Spyders and knew that 1990 was still the older body style here USA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys rock. I learned more about the Spider family tree today than I knew in 15 years. I got home from a trip and took another look for the things Antony mentioned. The tag on the hood indicates that the car satisfies all EPA and California standards for M.Y. 90. Also, it does have an electric driven fan, two in fact. One turns on when the water temp hits 180F and the other runs when the AC is on, the latter of which hasn't happened in years. I have lost track of where that manufacturing date was posted, although I distinctly remember puzzling about that some years ago.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts