Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys

Can't for the life of me find this part. I'm searching for the part that keeps the driver's side front bumper fastened to the car. It's the fastener that's located about 5" in front of the driver side front wheel.

Any suggestions on where I can find one?

Thanks.

marc

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
It's an oversized bevel headed bolt that is next to impossible to find. Best bet is find someone parting out their car and ask about it. When I bought one of my Spiders, someone took a quarter, drilled a hole in it, braised a bolt through it, and used it instead of the bolt you're talking about. Call Larry at APE. He might have one out in the yard somewhere. PS: they're never cheap either.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Anthony

Thanks Anthony.
This is the first solid advice I've gotten on this issue. Couple questions for you:

By chance, when you were messing with yours, did you happen to take a picture of it? If so, would you mind sending me a copy of it?

[email protected], or to this thread.

Also, I've only owned my Spider for about 8 months. I'm not sure who/what "APE" is.

Any "ballpark" estimate on what they will sell for?

I have a friend that owns a machine shop, If I knew what they looked like, I'd have him make a few of them for me.

Thanks again.

marc

·
Registered
54 Posts
HI Marc,
If you cant find one , a suitable large coach bolt works well - Just find one with a head that fits the slot in the bumper . You have to bolt it up from underneath , and remember to undo it next time you take the bumper off ,
What price originality?
David

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might need a washer or two to get the correct spacing , and I had to grind a couple of flats on the thread end to fit a spanner while I did up the nut .
David

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Here's the offending parts you need. So if you happen to be at a wrecking yard and find on old Spider or find someone with a old coffee can full of old Alfa stuff, you'll know what to look for.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I dug up an old ebay picture from last year when I finally found them to finish my own project. I think I paid something like $40 plus shipping. Sounds high, but I was so tired of looking at that point that I paid it gladly.(the guy obviously know what he had, dang it):rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much. This helps a ton. I can have one of my friends make them for me...and I agree, $40 seems a bit much for them. however, after you've been searching for hours, it doesn't sound too bad! lol

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Thanks so much. This helps a ton. I can have one of my friends make them for me...and I agree, $40 seems a bit much for them. however, after you've been searching for hours, it doesn't sound too bad! lol
Hours? I searched for 8 months. The problem is, I don't have any machinist friends or a welder to make a replacement. Plus I think I'm a little too ocd to just use a carriage bolt. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
8 months ? Bah! 2 1/2 years and still searching ( ok - not full time I admit ) Coach bolt just holds it still while I drive it and keep looking :)
Admire your dedication to originality

D

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Unless you are a purist, just use American bumper blots and nuts, the kind with the made on self locking shoulder. There is enough room to work the bolt in behind the plastic bracket which is made onto the bumper end, and then secure with the nut from the open side. There is room to use a pair of combination wrenches on both sides. Secure the thing and move on to more pressing issues.

Excuse the poor focus on this photo, but you get the idea. These are available in any auto parts store. I found new hardware at Advance and Kelly Auto Parts.

Robert Hill in Memphis TN

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts