Alfa Romeo Forums banner

Which Horn Button Logo?

61 - 80 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Help with Steering Wheel Puller

I bought a puller (see second photo), but of course this Alfa takes 6mm threaded studs that will need to be about 125 mm long to work with my puller (distance needed to fit inside of the hub and through the puller). I tried making studs using 6mm All-Thread (see first photo), but when I tried to use them, they started bending so I stopped with the process as I didn't want them to break off inside the hub. All-Thread is way too soft of a grade of steel.

I haven't been able to find any 6mm x 125mm long bolts at any hardware store or online. Any ideas, or does anyone have an original Alfa puller that I can borrow. I'd be willing to pay shipping both ways.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 · (Edited)
Ted's shirt

Hey, Ted Nugent called.

He wants his shirt back. :)
I'll tell Mick. That's my neighbor, not me in the seat. I didn't have a socket large enough for the job, so I drove down the street using my son's Nintendo seat on top of the driver's seat pan :eek: and had him help me with the initial pull on the wheel.

Found M6X1.0 X 140 METRIC STUDS at MSC tonight and ordered them for the puller.
They are "stress proof" steel.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Great effort!

If it's not too late, could you post some pics of the correct mounting of the seat belts, with all the shims and spacers? Mine came in a bag or were just left rolling around the floor.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
Steering Wheel-ectomy

I found some 6mm studs at MSC that would be long enough to work with my puller.

MSC #: 74365461
Qty (2) $4.40 @ Total: $8.80
Description: M6X1.0 X 140 METRIC STUDS

The first photo shows the new hardened studs and puller next to the 6mm All-Thread studs that I previously had tried and bent all to hell. The second is the original one we removed and the last is the newly installed Nardi Classico.

Its very important to make sure that the center bolt on the puller is perpendicular to the face of the wheel when cranking down on the puller. I also used Liquid Wrench prior to trying this time. Its also a good idea to keep the center nut on and loose, but sitting below the end of the shaft. That way if you booger up the end of the shaft with the puller you can back the nut off and clean up the threads somewhat. We also used a pair of large vice grips on the puller body to counteract the turning of the center puller bolt. Once the wheel pops off there is a key that will get launched by a spring loaded sleeve around the shaft.

I thought the hard part was over once the wheel came off, but next we had to wrangle with getting the key back in the slot while pushing the spring loaded sleeve down the steering shaft with a screwdriver. This part requires two people to accomplish. One to use a screwdriver to hold the sleeve out of the way. The other puts the key in and then quickly places the new hub onto the shaft. The first then removes the screwdriver.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Seat Latch "Bumpers"

I fabricated some bumpers that go over the latch post for the seats out of some clear tubing. I think it cost me less than 25 cents for the material for the posts on both seats.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
Nardi Steering Wheel

Okay, so I know the Alfa logo is winning in the Poll, but here is what the Nardi logo looks like installed. I listened to everyone on the Carpet Poll before I started this project and went with tan. I plan on eventually installing an Alfa logo wooden shifter knob. Having the wheel and the shifter both with the Alfa logo I feel will be overkill. Its easy enough to switch back with these. Takes all of 5 minutes. When you order the wheel and hub from Centerline, they give you both the Nardi and Alfa logo buttons. (At least that is what they sent me.)

Attachments

·
Registered
612 Posts
that looks very nice, though you still need to change the shift knob for the wooden one.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Convertible Top Strap install

I opted for finding the original holes under the carpet when I installed these rather than drilling new holes. You need an awl and a little patience to find the hole. First I put the screw in the orginal hole behind the carpet. Then I layed the carpet over the screw and was able to pick out its center by feel from the other side. I then picked up the carpet away from the screw and poked a hole with the awl where the center of the screw was. Then I put the screw in the carpet hole (the carpet holds it in place) and refound the hole in the body it belonged in. Time consuming, but it keeps you from drilling extra holes and sometimes drilling through carpet tends to unravel it.
Also finally figured out what the riveted hole in the rear drape is for; you put the strap there when the top is up.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 · (Edited)
New Inside Window Wipes

The original part is two pieces. The rubber wipe slides into a plastic holder, but the problem is that not all of the wipe usually hits the window when you crank it down so you end up with sections that aren't defogged when you roll the side windows down. The new ones are one piece felt and completely touch the glass in all places. The side without the felt goes facing down in the clip when its installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #74 ·
Door Grip Covers

I refinished these with Krylon paint made for plastic. First I sanded off the old with 320, then 600 grit sand paper and then cleaned with alcohol wipes.

BTW, you need a small plastic putty knife to remove and install these without damaging the door grips. I found this was a handy tool in many places where the manual says "prise" off part with an appropriate tool.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 · (Edited)
New Leather Seats and Side Panels

Duramend did a great job on recovering these for me. Here's the old vinyl pieces and the recovered leather seats and side panels. I saved these in case I needed the original pattern in the future. Oh and they gave me $100 back because they only needed 2 not 3 hides of leather. Total cost was $685 plus tax. This is probably cheaper than usual as I opted to go with hides they had in stock versus ordering special. I got lucky as what they had matched my carpeting perfectly. I sprayed them down with leather cleaner/UV protectant. Its hard to put the seats back together without getting them dirty. I had to clean them again, but putting this on first made the job easier later.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
These are laying in the sun to smooth out some of "puckers" in the leather. It had not been nice weather prior to picking these up so they were not able to do this beforehand. You'll see in the finished pictures that the leather smooths out over time.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 ·
We like this guy

He brings us our "last" new part (yeah thats what I told my wife) to finish the car off. . .the matching Nardi shift knob. Yeah I know that the Alfa emblem horn cap for the steering wheel won in the polls, but hey the part was made/designed by Nardi. I like the way the Nardi blue matches my stereo led readout and the A/C knob symbol for hot to cold.

Attachments

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 · (Edited)
Vendors

I used these guys for all my parts plus DuraMend for the leather work and Re-Originals for the molded carpet. No, I have not totaled up the cost yet, going to savor the car for a while first.

Attachments

61 - 80 of 137 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.