Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 1990 quad started quitting at idle a few months back. Had mechanic check all grounds , replaced may relays ( which needed replacing anyway ) . Car ran well for a while then the problem started again...came and went many times ,which can drive you nuts. Then, I read somewhere that the amount of fuel in the tank can make a difference. This morning took a car for a drive and the problem of quitting at idle became acute, so I went and filled up the thank and the problem vanished . That could explain the intermittancy since I did not correlate the amount of gas in the tank with the idle quitting problem. What do you alfisti think?

·
Administrator
17,012 Posts
Your Spider has two fuel pumps. A low pressure pump in the tank and a high pressure pump under the car. The in-tank pump becomes vital to supplying fuel when the level is below ~ 1/2 full. Two things could explain your car's problem. 1) the in-tank pump has failed. Or B) the 'stepped hose' that connects the in-tank pump to the outlet pipe (inside the tank) is faulty. A faulty stepped hose will cause the main pump to suck air when the fuel level is low. Since the fuel is used to both lubricate and cool the main pump, this can lead to its early demise.

Be sure you are sitting down if you check the price of a new stepped hose...

·
Registered
8,085 Posts
could well be the stepped hose
but could also be the vapour system is causing a vacuum in the tank.
(when you filled up and the problem went away, you released the vacuum, for instance)....can you recall if air was sucked in when you undid the cap?

try driving around with the gas cap only lightly screwed on, see if that makes a difference.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts