Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ahd pod replaced now on to oil pressure. Pod jsut back from Palo Alto so I will hope that it is correct. However I get no reading on oil presure.
Is there a thead that I can trouble shoot it. The engine is tried but not sure on miles due to odo broken.
Car runs great water temp 175 to 185. No sounds of motor problems. Where should I start. Or is possilbe electric again.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Well, you can pull the wire off the sender and ground it. In that condition, the gauge should read full scale. If it does, then the sender is bad. If it still reads zero, it's either a broken sender wire, a bad trace on the circuit board that holds the gauges, the gauge itself, or one of the connectors in the dash pod. I'd start at the sender, using an ohmmeter, and work my way towards the gauge, assuming all the connections have already been checked, and are clean and tight.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1989 veloce oil presure

Ok I pulled wire and grounded it, gauge went to max. Should I check anything else or just change sending unit.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,073 Posts
Just change the sender. They go bad all the time.

You'll probably need a thin wrench to fit between the sender and the engine. I bought a flat stamped wrench at a bike shop (a 14 mm cone wrench I think...don't quote me on the size) and dremeled off one end so that it was short enough to do the job.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1989 veloce oil presure

Took sender off my parts car just to check. You were all correct. Sender was bad. Oil presure working great. Any thoughts should I use the old one that is working or should I put a new one in. Thanks again

·
Registered
532 Posts
In my experience, the older the better. I've had the recently-made (meaning the last 5 years) fail much more often than the old, original units. i.e., my '74 has its original sender, my '87 has had 3 in the last 5 or 6 years.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1989 veloce oil presure

Sounds like good advise. I will leave the old one for other day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts