Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a leak in the value gasket right above the dip stick. Do I just need a gsket from IAP. Do I need to watch out for anything different.
Joe

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
if you mean valve cover gasket, sometimes you can try tightening the bolts near it VERY GENTLY as you can strip these easily. See if it stops the leak. If it does not, then you will have to remove, and put new. Sometimes, if the gasket it clearly in good shape still, you can clean off really well with mineral spirits, then apply a fresh bead of gasket sealant and re seat and tighten.

Otherwise, youi will have to scrape off and put new, which can be a pain. DO NOT scrape off any of the aluminum!!!

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
Watch out for the half moon seals at the back of the cover on the head side as sometimes they come off with the cover, sometimes they stay in place, and other times they drop out into someplace where you'll never find them again and don't realize it until there's a massive oil leak on the back of the head.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
From the school of hard knocks, I wouldn't put any sealer on the head side of the V/C gasket. If you end up changing the V/C gasket I would get the reusable one from IAP or Centerline.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts