Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok everyone, You have helped on everything on this car from concepts to practical fixing everything. Does some one kown of a thread about the speedo and odo.

I sent my speedo and odo out to be fixed by Palo Alto. It came back several times un fixed but should be correct now. I can not find anything in the shop manual on the cabling and wiring and why it does not work. Does any one know how it works electric, and manually.

I un plugged pulse sending unit and took out cable, I followed the cable back to a housing and took off cable. IThe cable turns fine. but not sure where it goes from there. alfa BB had a great thread on tuning the car is there anything like that. Thanks again to everyone
joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1989 spider veloce, speedometer

Thanks to everyone for there posts and pulling up old post. I fianlly got the pod back from Palo Alto for the third time. Got it in Tac, fuel, water worked, no speedo, odo, trip. checked pulse gen per posts provided.
Fianlly checked to see if i had 12vots at pulse. Turns out only 6.9 Short in the wire replaced wire and put together now I also have speedo, Odo and trip.
I have more to fix. Oil gauge no show and no light in pod except green light for head light blue for bright fan light hazard.
Any ideas on haow to check oil and light for gauges at night. Thanks again could not have fixed without all of the input.

·
1966-2013
13,741 Posts
The oil gauge can be checked by unhooking the wire at the sender and with the key on, taking the lead to ground by touching it to the block.

One sender is at the front of block near dipstick, one at back of block near starter. (one does oil pressure gauge, the other does oil warning light. Test them both the same way. One will peg the gauge to max, the other will make the warning lamp come on)

Dunno on the lights, but if they are all out, it's likely a ground issue, unless mabe you've got the reostat dimmer turned all the way down/off, or it's not connected.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Thanks Fianlly checked to see if i had 12vots at pulse. Turns out only 6.9 Short in the wire replaced wire and put together now I also have speedo, Odo and trip.
I'm sorry, but what does the above mean It must be the Italian in me I re read this phrase 100 times but... was there a short on the cable?

I have a chronically slow reading speedo. It's only accurate to 50MPH then inaccurate to 65MPH. does not go above that. I have the pot turned all the way in the speedometer assembly. what I notice is that when the electrical system is loaded the speed decreases. for example if I put on the headlights the MPH goes down, then I put ob the AC it goes down even nore, and so on with the AC fan.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
1989 spider veloce, speedometer

thaks to everyone. All gaugues in the pod work again. After installing it no oil gauge and no light in the pod. Turns out oil sending unit stopped working when I took out pod. Changed unit today working great. The problem with the pod lights was that pug came off reostat when I put knee pad in.

Thanks again to everyone. I t makes working on the car fun when so many people help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts