Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know surprise, surprise an Alfa is leaking oil. My issue is where.

It appears to be coming from around the VVT Solenoid. Is that possible? If so, how do I fix it? It is considerable and makes a mess out of my pretty engine bay.

Herb

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have looked at the two VVT FAQs. The one about the O-ring is likely my issue. Unfortunately, I must be dense because I do not understand the fix.

It says to remove the solenoid mounting bracket and that there should be a steel plate. I do not see a steel plate. I see the face of the cam cover with a couple holes including the hole from which the vvt plunger exits the engine. Where is the O ring?

Herb

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Where is the O ring?

Herb
Here are some pictures.

I believe this is where you are at
IMG_8062.jpg

Using a 5mm hex (I think its 5mm) remove this bolt
IMG_8064.jpg

Bolt removed. Plate is still there. Usually its stuck on.
IMG_8065.jpg

Give it a few taps and it will come off. O ring can be seen here around the plunger. Kinda brownish.
O-ring%20Inserted.jpg

Hope that helps.

Vin

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
TY, TY, TY, TY. Great pics. Turned out I was missing the bolt that holds the little plate on. Do not know how it escaped. Plate remained stuck to the cam cover. I owe you big.

Herb

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
TY, TY, TY, TY. Great pics. Turned out I was missing the bolt that holds the little plate on. Do not know how it escaped. Plate remained stuck to the cam cover. I owe you big.

Herb
No Problem!

People here know, I have issues with oil leaks! Pretty sure I have had them all.

Glad to have helped.

Good luck,

Vin

·
Premium Member
1,936 Posts
People here know, I have issues with oil leaks!

Vin
You? No!!

But good for you, the therapy is helping... Step 1 - acknowledge that you have a problem.

I still love that post from I think your engine rebuild thread, were somebody finally steps in and says something like... "Vin, ok. Now its time to step away from tube of rtv sealant!". And your reply was something like "Hey, can't a guy have a leak free car for at least one day!"

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
You? No!!

But good for you, the therapy is helping... Step 1 - acknowledge that you have a problem.

I still love that post from I think your engine rebuild thread, were somebody finally steps in and says something like... "Vin, ok. Now its time to step away from tube of rtv sealant!". And your reply was something like "Hey, can't a guy have a leak free car for at least one day!"

I just keep repeating to myself "RTV is my friend. Everything in moderation is OK. Just a thin layer Vin, just a thin layer"

:001_tt2:

Vin

1 - 8 of 8 Posts