Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone. I originally tried selling this car back in the summer, but didn't pursue it very hard. I've now become more aggressive with my price because it's just sitting in the garage and I have no time to use it (new baby keeping me very, very busy).

We bought this 1989 Spider Gradiate from RML Automotive in Daytona Beach in May 2006.

It was a well-maintained Florida car that was used for product development purposes by RML. At 117,000 miles, Ric Lovecchio (owner of RML) personally restored it. Details of the work performed by Ric are listed below.

Since taking delivery, we have driven the car about 9,000 miles. One or two minor issues were sorted out (including a new water pump and a new battery) but the car has run strongly otherwise. I ended up using it as a daily driver on a 40-mile roundtrip back road commute for a few months, and it never failed me. I have no doubt that it will continue to run well.

We do think it needs a new master cylinder, and are making arrangements to have this work performed.
Speaking of which, while in our possession, the car has been maintained by Vinnie at Supercar Life (formerly Auto Italia) in Jupiter, FL.

The only two major flaws right now are a missing front turn signal cover and a scratch on one of the fenders (my fault). I should also note that the speedometer did work, but decided to stop at some point along the way. I have found it a lot more fun to not worry about how fast I'm going anyway.

Now, here's the work done by RML:

Show quality, original color re-paint.

Engine overhaul using 10:0-1 (from a 91-94 Spider) pistons and all standard bearings.

New water pump, re-conditioned flywheel, new clutch assembly, etc.

Nicely done 3-angle valve job with new guides and green seals. Assembled with top-quality gaskets and Dirko sealant.

New engine and transmission mounts with rebuilt driveshaft.

RML performance ignition system.

Transmission was rebuilt using new sleeves and syncros.

Installed with new gear stick boots (both).

Intake begins through a custom fabricated K&N assembly, runs through a 2.0-litre hemi and exhausts through an original extractor from an early Spica car (using an original, factory, two-piece exhaust system). A bung was welded to the front exhaust to utilize the O2 sensor and keep closed loop fuel injection. There is no catalytic converter on this system.

All of the brake calipers were rebuilt, with new pads.

Repacked bearings, new seals, and all hydraulic hoses were replaced.

Suspension remains stock with no worn joints.

Seats were reupholstered to exact specifications. Carpets and door panels are original.

All new door and trunk seals.

The gear stick is trimmed out with a leather boot.

Correctly functioning heating and air conditioning system, with new heater valve and ice cold air. Custom blower in center console.

New Robbins cloth top.

15" Panasport wheels with 205/50/15 Falken ZE512 tires.

Completely detailed undercarriage.

Roll bar bolted to frame.

Pioneer CD player and power antenna.

We paid A LOT of money for this car -- $12,500. I paid that premium based on the car's condition and Ric's reputation. Now, I'm willing to take a substantial loss just to get this to someone who will actually use it. I'm thinking $8,500.

If you're interested, please let me know. I'd be happy to show the car to anyone in person. It's located in Jupiter, FL. More pics and info can be provided upon request. And I'm happy to answer questions you might have. PM me for my contact info.

Thanks for looking,
Nilus

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I would encourage you to post a lot of pics here, on the BB. Two of the imageshack pics are not coming up for me, and I have a fast line... Plus, properly re-sized pics load well on this BB, and they are a lot larger than the ones that you click on...

This is quite a car, and RML is well known. At $12,500 this Spider is not overpriced at all. At $8,500 it's a steal. It's certainly a "winter special" price, as I think you'd have no trouble getting more when the warm weather returns, and the market expands beyond the warm weather states.

Best regards,

·
Registered
179 Posts
I saw this car on a visit to Daytona in April of last year. The 20 cents my word is worth here says I'd buy it in a minute if I had the money. It's an amazing car, and at that price, well, Enrique said it already.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the positive comments. It is a nice car ... we just don't need the third set of wheels and the added costs right now. But we do love driving the Alfa around ... it gets a lot of attention!

Anyway, here are some larger pics ...

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Interested in your car

Nilus:
Thinking about purchasing a spider as a second car. Your car looks great. I would like to speak with you over the phone. I can be reached at 813-390-3520. Thanks for your time.
Sincerely,
Eric

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lots of interest, but nobody has actually stepped up and taken it. Just wanted to give it a bump before I throw it on eBay. :)

Nilus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You have plenty of good choices for airports. The nearest is West Palm Beach (10 miles). Fort Lauderdale, which serves more routes, is about 45 minutes away. And Miami is less than an hour and a half (all depends on traffic).

As of right now, the car is still available. It's actually at the mechanics getting a new master cylinder. Should be back in my garage today or tomorrow.

Nilus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's back. Not only was the slave cylinder replaced (I mistakenly said master before), but the broken turn signal was also redone. Total bill was $480. In other words, this is now a full-blown steal!

Last time I'm bumping it on this site. Then it's going to other venues, probably at a higher price. Anyone who expressed interest, lemme know if you're serious this week!

Thanks,
Nilus

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup, I know exactly when it stopped working ... the battery went dead, and when we revived her, it was pinned between 20 and 40 MPH no matter how fast I was actually going.

Therefore I have a feeling it is not a mechanical issue with the speedo but some weird electrical glitch. But what do I know?

I never asked my mechanic to fix it because I really don't care if it's working. LOL.

Thanks,
Nilus

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Nilus
Do you have Vinnie's contact information?
I am in desperate need of a Alfa mechanic in Palm Beach area.
Your help in this matter is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Mario

·
Registered
83 Posts
Your car looks great, you've taken good care of it obviously and I hope you get every penny of your price. I have an 84' Spider that I am trying to get from "good" to "great" in other words-like yours. If you have a moment could you inform if that is the same rollbar they sell at IAP (or where you purchased it if it was not already on the car) and what size panasports you have (14" or 15")? Thanks. I hope the sale doesn't mean you leave the Alfa family because you obviously appreciate them.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Send me some more pics may be interested

Hi

Please post more pictures I may n be interested

Rick

Hi, everyone. I originally tried selling this car back in the summer, but didn't pursue it very hard. I've now become more aggressive with my price because it's just sitting in the garage and I have no time to use it (new baby keeping me very, very busy).

We bought this 1989 Spider Gradiate from RML Automotive in Daytona Beach in May 2006.

It was a well-maintained Florida car that was used for product development purposes by RML. At 117,000 miles, Ric Lovecchio (owner of RML) personally restored it. Details of the work performed by Ric are listed below.

Since taking delivery, we have driven the car about 9,000 miles. One or two minor issues were sorted out (including a new water pump and a new battery) but the car has run strongly otherwise. I ended up using it as a daily driver on a 40-mile roundtrip back road commute for a few months, and it never failed me. I have no doubt that it will continue to run well.

We do think it needs a new master cylinder, and are making arrangements to have this work performed.
Speaking of which, while in our possession, the car has been maintained by Vinnie at Supercar Life (formerly Auto Italia) in Jupiter, FL.

The only two major flaws right now are a missing front turn signal cover and a scratch on one of the fenders (my fault). I should also note that the speedometer did work, but decided to stop at some point along the way. I have found it a lot more fun to not worry about how fast I'm going anyway.

Now, here's the work done by RML:

Show quality, original color re-paint.

Engine overhaul using 10:0-1 (from a 91-94 Spider) pistons and all standard bearings.

New water pump, re-conditioned flywheel, new clutch assembly, etc.

Nicely done 3-angle valve job with new guides and green seals. Assembled with top-quality gaskets and Dirko sealant.

New engine and transmission mounts with rebuilt driveshaft.

RML performance ignition system.

Transmission was rebuilt using new sleeves and syncros.

Installed with new gear stick boots (both).

Intake begins through a custom fabricated K&N assembly, runs through a 2.0-litre hemi and exhausts through an original extractor from an early Spica car (using an original, factory, two-piece exhaust system). A bung was welded to the front exhaust to utilize the O2 sensor and keep closed loop fuel injection. There is no catalytic converter on this system.

All of the brake calipers were rebuilt, with new pads.

Repacked bearings, new seals, and all hydraulic hoses were replaced.

Suspension remains stock with no worn joints.

Seats were reupholstered to exact specifications. Carpets and door panels are original.

All new door and trunk seals.

The gear stick is trimmed out with a leather boot.

Correctly functioning heating and air conditioning system, with new heater valve and ice cold air. Custom blower in center console.

New Robbins cloth top.

15" Panasport wheels with 205/50/15 Falken ZE512 tires.

Completely detailed undercarriage.

Roll bar bolted to frame.

Pioneer CD player and power antenna.

We paid A LOT of money for this car -- $12,500. I paid that premium based on the car's condition and Ric's reputation. Now, I'm willing to take a substantial loss just to get this to someone who will actually use it. I'm thinking $8,500.

If you're interested, please let me know. I'd be happy to show the car to anyone in person. It's located in Jupiter, FL. More pics and info can be provided upon request. And I'm happy to answer questions you might have. PM me for my contact info.

Thanks for looking,
Nilus

1 - 18 of 18 Posts