Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 6 month stint on the blocks I got my Alfa out for a test run today. The car runs rather well but the one issue I have always had is cooling. I was bleeding the cooling system and something jumped out at me. There is no shroud on the radiator/fan. Please excuse my ignorance but if there needs to be one I might as well install it when I re-core the radiator. This might just solve my problems. If not, I may need to add an electric fan. Currently I can bring the heat down with the heater but that does not cut when it is 90 degrees in Virginia. The radiator re-core may solve it as well.

·
Administrator
17,004 Posts
Yes, there should be a plastic shroud for the engine driven fan. It also acts as a measuring device for sagging motor mounts - when the fan hits the shroud you should have replaced the motor mounts a month ago...

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That may explain a lot of my problem. Motor mounts first - then put in a new shroud... I have no idea what the previous owner (my son) may have done. Thank you!

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Have the radiator roded out at a good radiator shop.

Fan shroud will help. But it won't cure an overheat problem.

·
Registered
1987 Alfa Romeo Quadrifoglio
223 Posts
When was the last time you serviced the cooling system? New hoses, radiator flushed thoroughly and new coolant, checking to make sure pressure is good? I had a big issue with overheating (also in Virginia) and doing a complete cooling system overhaul helped tremendously. Fan shroud helps but there is definitely something larger at play here.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did everything possible except having the radiator rodded out or overhauled. There is a shop up near Manassas that will recore it if required and put in a third pass. I never got around to it last year. I just ordered the motor mounts. Once I knock those out I will take the radiator up to have it rodded out and tested. When it goes back in it will be with the shroud.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Good call - let us know how it goes. Also if you go to the shop in Manassas let us know that as well, I live near there and it's always good to get opinions on local shops. There's a reputable alfa shop in Manassas. Owner is a good guy.

·
Premium Member
4,519 Posts
Also if its been overheating for a while. A new thermostat might be needed.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good call - let us know how it goes. Also if you go to the shop in Manassas let us know that as well, I live near there and it's always good to get opinions on local shops. There's a reputable alfa shop in Manassas. Owner is a good guy.
What is the name of the shop in Manassas? I have been going up to DiFatta Bros in Baltimore and that can be a bit of haul and then having to return by train...

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did that - got a bad one (installed it, removed it, tested it and then threw it out, got a new one, tested it first, then installed it.) I just should have known better.

·
Registered
223 Posts

Owner is Tim Rooney, somewhat of a small shop, but I believe he expanded once he moved from Fairfax to Manassas. I haven't seen his new shop, but he is a good dude and knows his stuff. Has a decent amount of spare parts as well.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you - I will give him a shout. I really would prefer a shop closer than Baltimore. I will get the name of the radiator guy and post it here.

·
Premium Member
1,879 Posts
I'm not sure DiFatta is long for this world anyhow so good you're looking for a new shop now. They were selling out a couple of months ago but it fell through. Gianni says they're still going for now but not taking on any big jobs. Sounds like the plan is definitely to close in the nearish future though.

Do yourself a favor and get the Spruell HD motor mounts. I replaced mine once and they sagged out. Replaced them again with a Spruell "medium duty" product that they've since discontinued and they sagged right out. Working on putting the HD units in today. Hopefully those will last - this is the third replacement in 10 years/12k miles. Grrr....

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do yourself a favor and get the Spruell HD motor mounts. I replaced mine once and they sagged out. Replaced them again with a Spruell "medium duty" product that they've since discontinued and they sagged right out. Working on putting the HD units in today. Hopefully those will last - this is the third replacement in 10 years/12k miles. Grrr....
You read my mind on this one. I was looking back at some earlier posts and Spruell was mentioned in a number of cases. I was wondering if the square mounts were worth the effort and I can see they are. I am going to make one purchase of parts to include the transmission mount and a couple of synchros, etc... I am going to do everything at one time. It's that time before the summer comes and I have to go back to work once we slow down this virus issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts