Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't mine for sale, but saw it on ebay in the NYC and I've been looking for one of these for a while that's in good shape. The car looks gorgeous and very well maintained (pending mechanic inspection). But the price seems a bit high to me…any opinions?

Alfa Romeo Milano | eBay

·
Registered
402 Posts
Its curious they don't show the front seats head on so we can see if the bolsters or inserts are worn. I have a gray one with 65,000 miles that will be for sale soon but I'm on the west coast.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I paid $15K for mine in similar, time warp condition - perfect seats, original paint, zero rust, 82K miles, needed nothing, etc. It looks to be the identical twin to this car as they are the same color and have almost the same mileage.

There are people who will undoubtedly say that $15K is crazy money for a Milano but I looked for 8 months trying to find one that was fully sorted with no stories and no rust - it was a very difficult search. In the end, my persistence paid off and I was able to strike a deal with the original owner. He really didn't want to sell it... and I believe that is true for most Milano owners these days that keep their cars nice. I truly believe the market for Milanos has changed from 5 years ago when these were throw away track cars. Nice ones are commanding a premium, especially Verdes, and ones in good daily driver quality condition are fetching between $5K - $8K. You'll notice the seller of this auction has another Verde that isn't as nice with higher miles and a Buy it Now price of $8200.

I'm still kicking myself for not buying one that came up for sale a few months ago in CT. It was a 3.5L stroker with full on race suspension for $9K. I really don't know what I was thinking.... aside from the fact that my wife probably would have filed for divorce if I brought home a 6th car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Yes those are two nice cars. It is funny that the nicer black one has the same issue as my car with the under dash wiring poking out on both sides of the center console.

Somewhat on a whim a picked up a red 87 Milano Gold w/97K over the holidays for $3k (my first Alfa). It is somewhat in between the condition of these two cars, with a bit of rust in the trunk lid due to water being trapped by that dumb reflector strip.

Would love a Verde but think I got a good deal based on the prices of these two beauties.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
If you are planning to drive the car regulary regardless of the weather (esp. in the East coast), I don't think paying thousands of dollars more for an immaculate, rust-free example makes any sense. But if you are looking for a garage queen that will be taken out once or twice a month to a car-sand-coffee sort of thing, I would say go for it (after a careful inspection and a second opinion if at all possible).

By the way, I know exactly where those pictures in the ebay were taken - I go by there every day on my way to work. Never thought there are Milanos lurking inside.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
Gorgeous car for sure but to me it's too much. Maybe $10,000 to $12,000 max but closer to ten. The red one from the Pacific Northwest that sold last year I think was just as nice if not nicer and it went for ten or eleven grand.

Even though I've always wanted a Verde I could never spend that much on one because as a driving enthusiast I always ask what could I get that drives better for the same money? I can buy a 2001/2003 M3 convertible for that kind of cash.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
The difference between a decent Milano and a PROPERLY preserved and sorted Milano, regardless of trim level, is enormous - whether you're behind the wheel or behind the "wallet." The Verde's at the upper end of this properly sorted spectrum pull a huge premium over even just standardly "nice" Verdes. Several sub 60k mile very nice Verdes have traded hands over the last few years for around $5k. If you're looking carefully, they are out there. They won't have mint paint and the luggage and bins, but is that worth $10k like this one advertised? We'll see.

Gold, Sliver, and Platinum examples trade hands for very little $ even if near mint condition.

Quick rant: I still hate the engine bay of a stock Milano, especially if it's a Plat or Verde. It's so cluttered and messy with the ABS and cruise (ridiculous washer tank, power steering reservoir, ABS nonsense, battery, dozens of holes, hoses, wires, etc. etc.) - and a lot of work to unclutter it. The ultimate Milano to me is still a Milano Silver or Gold chassis with a Platinum gearbox and a 3.0 transplanted in. No extra wiring, ABS, or body plastic to deal with, a lighter weight body, easy to swap in interior of choice, etc. etc. Oh - non sunroof please.

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
Quick rant: I still hate the engine bay of a stock Milano, especially if it's a Plat or Verde. It's so cluttered and messy with the ABS and cruise (ridiculous washer tank, power steering reservoir, ABS nonsense, battery, dozens of holes, hoses, wires, etc. etc.) - and a lot of work to unclutter it. The ultimate Milano to me is still a Milano Silver or Gold chassis with a Platinum gearbox and a 3.0 transplanted in. No extra wiring, ABS, or body plastic to deal with, a lighter weight body, easy to swap in interior of choice, etc. etc. Oh - non sunroof please.
+1 And with Verde torsion bars and sway bars.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you are planning to drive the car regulary regardless of the weather (esp. in the East coast), I don't think paying thousands of dollars more for an immaculate, rust-free example makes any sense. But if you are looking for a garage queen that will be taken out once or twice a month to a car-sand-coffee sort of thing, I would say go for it (after a careful inspection and a second opinion if at all possible).

By the way, I know exactly where those pictures in the ebay were taken - I go by there every day on my way to work. Never thought there are Milanos lurking inside.
No kidding? Yeah I am in Queens and see an Alfa from time to time. I'm trying to decide whether to get an '85 GTV-6 that's well sorted out (I know the ownership history), or something like a Milano. I almost bought a nice Verde in 2004, but ended up getting a 3 series. (I know, booo!).

I still think $16k is a lot for this car, but perhaps I'll go and see it in person. I'd say 10 to 12 is much more fair. But if it's truly mint condition as if it were new, then who knows...

Is the Alfa Import Center now open again? I'll need a place to get it serviced...

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
I was in touch with Giuseppe in May last year. He was at

Alfa Import Center
49-14 25th Avenue
Woodside, N.Y. 11377
718-381-6764

[email protected]

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's great news! I had heard loose talk about his moving away from NYC, but good that he's back. I wonder if he maintains the car I saw on ebay...

·
Premium Member
13,995 Posts
He moved to Charlotte NC but only stayed a few years. He built the motor that is in my GTV6. Our loss is your gain.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
I'm still kicking myself for not buying one that came up for sale a few months ago in CT. It was a 3.5L stroker with full on race suspension for $9K. I really don't know what I was thinking.... aside from the fact that my wife probably would have filed for divorce if I brought home a 6th car.
How did I miss this car? I'm always on the prowl.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Black Milano

I know the owner..he is a serious collector..the car is gorgeous....would definitely cost more to take your average Milano and bring it up to these standards....D

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
Tell him you spoke to Dr Dino on the BB....on a side note...
Registration is open for Alfamiglia Nordest 2015...the National Convention for 2015...June 24 - 28 Warwick, Rhode Island
Alfamiglia Nordest 2015

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
No...no need to own an Alfa...however...must join the National Club or be a member of a sister club (ie FIAT, Lancia, Ferrari, Maserati) to register for the convention....There is accommodation on the web site for any and all options....either joining AROC (which would be nice) or making us aware of your other club affiliation....This will be a great convention and Nicki's Verde (esp the Black one) is really nice...D

·
Registered
51 Posts
A fine tuned 3 liter Verde, is probably the best alfa creation. Prices are on the rise, with only 800 some units being made.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts