Alfa Romeo Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have check through many things and I am going to get this figured out.
I have determined that on testing ingition ECU harness pin #5 and #4 cranking engine that I only have 8.95 volts when cranking.
Battery before cranking 12.17, on cranking at junction box 10.45.
I am trying to follow purple wire back to ingition switch, looking for open circut.
From Papjam wiring diagram, it looks like it connects behind glove box. I took out carpet and looking up behind glove box I see nothing. Does someone know how I can find connector G121, hoping connection is bad.
thanks

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
Here's a couple of photos - one when I had the dash out, the other is of the cowl drain and I'm not sure if it is the right side or left side.

In picture one look on the right side just below the '09'. In picture two look on the left side, near the bottom - behind the red/black connector.

Attachments

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So Do I need to take the dash out, to get to it. Do I take out glove box. What is the eastest way.
thanks
Joe

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I look under the dash, I see what llok like air box for maybe air conditioner

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have A/c and I can remove it. However I have tried the following.
Battgery KO 12.15
cranking at junction box 10.45
cranking at switch black/purple wire 9.45
cranking at ingition ECU pin #4 9.15
NOt sure if Battery is going bad, so I am taking it over to be tested andslow charged.
I took out the ignition switch, does it come apart for cleaning, Trying to figure out why I am not getting at least 10.5 to Ingition pin #4 to start car

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Had battery charged they said it was ok.
Battgery KO 12.51
cranking at junction box 10.65
cranking at switch black/purple wire 10.01
cranking at ingition ECU pin #4 10.00
NO start do I have to have 10.45 to get ignition ecu to work

cranking at

·
Administrator
17,984 Posts
My guess is the voltage at the ECU is too low for it to wake up and go to work. It could be a bad connector* (or a number of slightly bad connectors) causing a significant voltage drop. Although Bosch does not specify a minimum voltage threshold, ~ 10.5V seems to about the minimum required. Our Spider reads 12.6v at the battery with everything off and ~ 11.8v during cranking.

*remember that electricity needs a circuit to work so be sure to clean/secure all ground connections also to ensure a complete pathway for the electrons.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the starter is going bad could it draw to many amps. then my volts at ignition switch would 10.01

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
1989 lose of power

I want to thak everyone for helping me get the car running. After fixing a lot of issues the car had, it still would not run so I finally had it towed to the mech for help. He looked at all of the work done and in five minutes decided it was the timing. He took off value cover and one of the bolts in the cam had broken off. He put in a new bolt adjusted the timing and it started right up. Charged me $180.00.
With all the work that I did on the car it runs great. More power then I ever remember. I hope this will add to the list of things to check for the next guy.
THANKS AGAIN TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED ME.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1989 loss of power

It was only off a small amount, no damage to values. He thought the broken bolt got the timing off, and in turn loss of power and most of the time no start. After fixing everything else with your help the cars runs great. Thanks again for taking the time and telephone calls to make it work.

·
Registered
9,741 Posts
you mean the bolt on the camshaft sprocket broke, I take it? Did your mechanic say where it went?
............I can only think it dropped into the sump.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
1989 loss of power

The head of the bolt was inside valve cover and the treaded part had to be backed out. So I guess I was lucky in some degree. Everything worked perfect after everyone help clean up smaller problems.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts