Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 1989 Spider. It has a problem no local mechanic can seem to solve. The car will sporadically stall at almost any moment. I can be driving on the highway at 55 or sitting at a stop light. I have found that if I turn the ignition off and wait 30 seconds it will restart and be fine for 20 mins, an hour, I never know. Any thoughts? My email is [email protected] Thank you. Chris
(Hermosa Beach CA)

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,767 Posts
It is probably embarrased by all that advertising. Alfa's don't like to be pimped. (geez - Beach Coast Insurance and not one pretty female in the photo...)

Well, either that or there is an electrical or mechanical problem. Have you observed the tach's operation as it stops running? If the ignition is working the tach will continue to read as the engine dies. Which would point to possible fuel starvation. But if you see the tach stop working and then the engine dies it points to an ignition problem.

Look through (or have your well-insured mechanic look through) the L-jetronic diagnostic page - link is in my signature. Check (or have your mechanic check) all the items outlined therein. L-jetronic is a system - all the parts have to be working for it to work at all. Common Alfa L-jet issues are poor electrical connections (especially grounds) and 'false air' (any air that enters the engine without being measured by the Air Flow Meter is called false air). So check for loose/cracked air intake ducts & vacuum hoses.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
It is probably embarrased by all that advertising. Alfa's don't like to be pimped. (geez - Beach Coast Insurance and not one pretty female in the photo...)

"Well, either that or there is an electrical or mechanical problem."

Duhhhhhhh

1 - 4 of 4 Posts