Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Administrator
17,776 Posts
Welcome to the Alfa BB.

I have wire diagrams for USA version (Bosch L-jetronic EFI). I do not know if they are the same/similar to European versions. Let me know if you want what I have.

Now then, how do you expect us to help you when we don't know all the vital details. Like what color is it? That is where pictures come in handy. Plus we happen to like pictures...

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Pictures? Did Eric mention pictures? :LOL:

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Eric
I believe that the European Alfa in 1989 already had the Motronic injection.
Alfaromano123 can confirm. So a diagram for a 1990 US car should be the same.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Hi I need wiring diagrams for my 89 Alfa spider 2.0 many thanks
Since Eric mentioned pictures. Send us a picture of your engine bay while you are taking them.
That will tell us if you have L-Jetronic or Motronic injection and help get you the correct diagram

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
in the UK an 89 will likely be carbs or at most L-jetronic

I don't think motronic...the law there didn't even require cats on new cars till 1992 !!

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
in the UK an 89 will likely be carbs or at most L-jetronic

I don't think motronic...the law there didn't even require cats on new cars till 1992 !!
Interesting but wasn't Germany on Motronic in 1989? Did it vary all over Europe?

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
yes you can find motronic spiders in Germany already in 89 (S3), alongside jetronic.

Motronic S4 arrived in 1990 here in Germany. In Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece etc the S4 was offered (for tax reasons) in 1600cc with dual webers or dellortos as well as the motronic 2.0 litre injected.

don't forget USA cat laws were a good 15 years before Germany.
UK was even slower to pass the cat law.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
yes you can find motronic spiders in Germany already in 89 (S3), alongside jetronic.

Motronic S4 arrived in 1990 here in Germany. In Italy, Portugal, Spain, Greece etc the S4 was offered (for tax reasons) in 1600cc with dual webers or dellortos as well as the motronic 2.0 litre injected.

don't forget USA cat laws were a good 15 years before Germany.
UK was even slower to pass the cat law.
Good to know. Regarding cat laws, I can't forget what I never knew about the European laws. :LOL:
I believe the US cat laws started around 1974. I was living in Venezuela some until the mid-80s and there were no such laws there. If you went through a tunnel in Caracas, your eyes would be burning before you got out.:(

Reactions: spiderserie4

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
oh boy, that is one unloved engine compartment;)
looks like lots of work ahead.

It looks like a Bell & Colville rhd conversion....that'll confuse Americans, seeing the clutch master on the wrong side:)

you will also need the L-jetronic troubleshooting guide.
Scroll up to Eric's posting (ghnl) and click on the down arrow to expand his signature, there you will find the jetronic doc.

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
oh boy, that is one unloved engine compartment;)
looks like lots of work ahead.

It looks like a Bell & Colville rhd conversion....that'll confuse Americans, seeing the clutch master on the wrong side:)

you will also need the L-jetronic troubleshooting guide.
Scroll up to Eric's posting (ghnl) and click on the down arrow to expand his signature, there you will find the jetronic doc.
Dom
Already sent him the guide.
Agreed, it is unloved to say the least.
Never heard of a Bell & Colville perversion. Enlighten me please.

·
Registered
9,404 Posts
Never heard of a Bell & Colville perversion. Enlighten me please.
Alfa stopped selling right hand drive cars back in the mid 70's
Obviously as the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road (along with the Japanese, Australians and some odd South Sea Islands;)) someone had to convert the cars to RHD or they wouldn't sell.
A prominent British alfa dealer "Bell & Colville" (say like Hoffmann in USA) then decided to do the conversions, but alfa would not offer a warranty (silly decision & sure didn't help sales!)
then another company in UK, Seaking, got the authority from alfa to convert their cars to rhd.

Both conversions are kinda what you guys might call 'Rube Goldberg' designs:)

·
Premium Member
1,629 Posts
Alfa stopped selling right hand drive cars back in the mid 70's
Obviously as the Brits drive on the wrong side of the road (along with the Japanese, Australians and some odd South Sea Islands;)) someone had to convert the cars to RHD or they wouldn't sell.
A prominent British alfa dealer "Bell & Colville" (say like Hoffmann in USA) then decided to do the conversions, but alfa would not offer a warranty (silly decision & sure didn't help sales!)
then another company in UK, Seaking, got the authority from alfa to convert their cars to rhd.

Both conversions are kinda what you guys might call 'Rube Goldberg' designs:)
Thanks Dom Interesting to know. That explains a lot!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
agreed unloved but hardly any rust so very easy to clean up . Only got car last weekend no spark and can’t hear fuel pump but cranks over lovely. Had a alarm last owner tried taking out says it’s out but few wires don’t look great so gonna have to work out the problem. He thought ecu may be the culprit but I think otherwise

1 - 20 of 35 Posts