Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Difference between a 1.7 litre boxer from 1987 to 89

Are the 1989 fuel injected versions a better performing car than one from 87 or 88? I've heard the older 1.7s actually perform better... just wanted to know if this is true

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The carby engines have more power (118 BHP), than the eight valve fuel injected ones and have the lovely Weber sound. They also have more low down grunt than the 16 valve models but less at high revs. I am thinking about selling mine at the moment as it happens.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Performance: the carb probably. I would imagine the ie. is more flexible and fuel efficient, actually i can tell you it is. The ie. also wont bog down with the carbs as most seem to do. I really dont think there would be much in it, a well set up ie. minus the cat and running open-loop should be just as quick.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Both the ie and the carburettor version are great cars, although the ie probably starts and idles a bit smoother and the bogging down is noticeable with webers but could probably be corrected by using larger idle jets and something like an MSD ignition box, but you can drive to accomodate it.
As far as fuel efficiency, I get about 475kms on 50L (Premium) in my weber'd 1.7L 8V, in my eyes thats not bad...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I am thinking $3,100. It has brand new timing belts, new front gas struts, new clutch hydraulics, I have sorted the electrics, and the hatch struts are also new. It also has lowered springs, two new tyres and two 75% ones. The left hand CV joint and right hand front wheel bearings are also new. The engine goes very well. The second gear synchro is a little slow but not bad and the brakes are excellent. The driver's seat is torn and there are a couple of patches of rust in the corners of the hatch and a small spot on the inside top of the driver's door sill. The reason for selling, if I go ahead with it, is that I am thinking of taking on a Guilia restoration project and I only have room for four cars. Send me a pm if you want to have a look at it. Here are a couple of pics.

Attachments

·
Registered
49 Posts
ie versus weber

I drove a 1.7ie 8v before I bought the 1.7 8v twin weber that I have now and was disappointed at the performance.
It may have been the car but the webers seem to pull a lot harder although the ie did idle better.
I've put larger idle jets in and now the car doesn't stumble just off idle and will now pull away steadily. The tyres will break away easily on take off and the torque steer is the worst of any car I have owned, but you get used to it.
As for fuel consumption I'm getting approx 400kms from 38 litres and I'm hoping to better that when I fix the induction leak through the throttle spindle.

·
Registered
13 Posts
8v Webber vs 16v Dellorto T.B's

Having owned an '89 series 2 1.7QV and currently a series 3 1.7 16v S, hands down i'd take the 8v every time if given the choice. Good low-down torque, fantastic sound from those Webbers (with a slightly modified airbox) and overall a more raw, kinda brutal feel to it :D Havent found what the top end speed is yet on the 16v, but it feels like its running out of acceleration slightly compared to the 8v once you get to the far side of 150kph...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Top end?

Hmmm, thats one thing I've never figured out either... massively conservative performance figures quoted from the factory. Are they based on what a 1.3 can haul to, or is that what they'll achieve with that big throttle pedal bolt wound right out:confused: I can recall myself and a fellow member on here (FabCrab), winding his father's 33 1.7 QV with a pair of Dellortos off the clock (full scale 240kph speedo too) many times... Only thing that stopped us from reaching the rev limiter was, A) a lack of balls on our part, and B) inconveniently placed bends in the road :D

·
Registered
418 Posts
I topped 210 km/t once in my old 33 16V, with a friend snoring on the passenger seat.

Made for a good race against the Audi A8 nex to me on the 'Bahn... Somehow the driver of the Audi seemed more comfortable than me? :D

·
Registered
755 Posts
... Somehow the driver of the Audi seemed more comfortable than me? :D
That might have had something to do with the 10 cows he shares his interior with...:D

I think the 33 is a very stable car at high speeds, sits very solidly and lets you put a lot of confidence in it, cant help but thinks it needs a 6th gear though.

A friend of mine got his 16V to 210kmph, wouldnt go much more. Unfortunately the road was undulating more than at normal speeds and he thinks the brake fluid must have shaken about and mixed with air as when he went for the brakes the pedal went to the floor (a moment of panic:eek:)...not fun at 210kmph...pumped it a few times and found the brakes...

·
Registered
238 Posts
and running open-loop should be just as quick.
Hi to everyone!
Since English is not my native language, and we use different terms for mechanic/electronic parts, can someone tell me what's exactly the meaning or what is(running open-loop)
I run a ie. 33, so since it has to do with injection I'm interested about...
Thanks to everyone.
Cheers,
Elvis

·
Registered
66 Posts
Fuel injection systems which include an oxygen sensor (lambda sensor) run in what's called 'closed loop' because the computer is constantly adjusting the fuel/air mixture according to what the oxygen sensor is telling it. Fuel injected cars without an oxygen sensor have no "feedback loop" so just run off the program (map) in the computer. This is called open loop. Many cars with oxygen sensors switch to open loop at full throttle - in the older bosch systems fitted to alfas this is done via a simple switch on the throttle body.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts