Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a late model 1988 spider with a dash instrument cluster that is not working. It burned up. Tried to get several clusters from other years and even from earlier 1988 and none work because, according to my mechanic, the cluster needs to have the seat belt warning light so it exactly matches the wiring of what was in the car originally. Has anyone had this issue previously? Does anyone know where I might be able to find a late model 1988 cluster, all in tact? Thanks Shep

·
Registered
163 Posts

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
If it helps I have a known good cluster from a 1990 Graduate with all the correct cables if you'd like to try it. No obligation, just give it a shot and buy it for a reasonable price if it works. I'm local (Stapleton) and plan on cleaning out the garage this weekend anyway so I should be able to dig it up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for offering. Im having the car sent over to another local mechanic. Once I know more about what the original cluster should have been I'll have a better idea of what I need. If you can hold on for 6 weeks I'll let you know.

Shep

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
No worries, it's not going anywhere. I know Jim Neill (AROC librarian, Papajam here on the BB) has done some work tracing out the wiring for the monopod dash. It would probably be worth sending him a note to see what he has available.

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
The Alfa wiring manuals have the diagrams for the cluster with all the connectors identified. Check the Cardisc, Section 43. There may be minor differences by year but my gut tells me it shouldn't be too hard to modify.

Back to your original issue, though: what do you mean the cluster "burned up"? Are you sure the WHOLE cluster is bad and you didn't just blow a fuse or ground or something? You probably want to do some digging/troubleshooting as dropping in a whole new cluster may not fix things depending on what your problem is...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. Someone else mentioned them as well so I think im finally getting to the bootom of this whole issue. By the way, do you have a local shop you use? I heard alfa West is out of business.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually melted the cluster and the backside. Caught on fire due to a short. Had been rewired badly on the backside by a previous owner thats why we are not sure whether its the original or not but we are definitely suspect of its origins. We still have it though as well as 1 other .

Shep

·
But Mad North-Northwest
10,496 Posts
Understood. Just wanted to make sure you know where the problem lies: it would suck to source a new cluster, plug it in, and then have it burn up too!

·
Premium Member
1,642 Posts
88 cluster

Steve at Mondino Imports in Colo Springs might have a cluster for an 88 with the passive restraint safety belts. I do believe the cluster is different for this Alfa. And Alfa West is not out of business. Just booked up for the next 2 months. and longer. Just had an open house last month. A Giulietta Sprint Speciale and SZ II were being repaired.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts