Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
SOLD on 12 May 2015.
I am offering For Sale my 1988 Alfa Romeo Milano Verde, VIN ZARDA1248J1051641, current odometer is approximately 90,700 miles. I purchased this car in August 2004 http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/6113-yet-another-clean-verde-ebay.html with just over 74,500 miles and drove it only recreationally until I pulled it into daily driver service two years ago. It’s time for it to go back from daily driver to recreational use again. The car is slightly lowered yet streetable with IAP rear lowering springs and just under an inch down in the front. No rubbing or scraping over speed bumps or curbs if taken at reasonable speeds even with a passenger in the front seat. A sump guard is installed. The car is in excellent condition overall; the paint shines nicely and is original except for the plastic rocker cladding on the lower left side, and the area between the reflector strip and belt trim on the boot lid (the classic rusted reflector strip, which I have attended to). There are a few stone chips and a door ding or two, all minor. All exterior plastic, door handles, and rubber have been repainted with SEM Bumper Coat and look good. The car is waxed twice a year. I would think there may be other Verdes out there with lower mileage and in better condition, but there can’t be many.
The car comes with the desirable dealer accessory catalog three-piece OZ Racing wheels that have been completely disassembled and refinished; the Falken tires still have plenty of tread remaining. The car comes with the nerdy but functional plastic headlight covers that were also dealer accessory catalog items; the actual dealer accessory catalog; a complete, never used OEM tool kit (there may be a fuse missing) and the correct first aid kit; Quick Reference Guide tucked into the driver’s sun visor; and the High Performance Cars, Waltham, MA original dealer window sticker that states a $23,155 MSRP. The interior is in excellent condition, including the original Recaro seat fabric, which somehow has survived intact with none of the usual driver’s side bolster chafing or seat bottom threadbare patches; I’ve protected the driver’s seat with covers since the day I bought the car, and replaced the driver’s seat bottom suspension. The headliner has been recently replaced and looks good. While it was out I cleaned, adjusted, and lubed the sun roof mechanism and tracks, and ensured the sunroof drain lines were unobstructed. The steering wheel is in excellent condition but it is not a correct Verde (leather wrapped) wheel. A Momo wheel with hub adapter that came on the car when I acquired it back in 2004 is included with the car.
Mechanically, everything works on the car except the cruise control, which is intermittent. The Teves ABS works as designed. In daily driver duty, the amber ABS Warning light extinguishes after approximately 20 seconds of pump run after sitting overnight, and never comes back on during driving. The sunroof functions as designed, as does the air conditioning and the power door locks. I cleaned out the heater fan resistor “firebox” last Fall. All four power windows work, the intermittent wipers work, all lighting functions to include the interior lights and timer, the rear window defroster, etc. The car starts right up, hot or cold, idles smoothly, pulls strong to the redline, tracks smooth and straight. No oil leaks, however a very slow engine oil seep is evident from the back of the engine if you place the car on a lift and inspect it with a drop light. She does drink a bit though; I add about a quart of engine oil every 650 miles or so. In daily driver conditions, there’s no puff of smoke on startup, no smoke on decel, no smoke on hard throttle. The Euro downpipe exhaust system is in good condition and includes a dual tip Ansa muffler. The original front exhaust section including the cat has been removed and will be included with the car. If this is an issue for you because where you live requires smog cert, let me know and I will grant you a credit or if you prefer, I will offer some spare parts as a trade. I will work with you.
I modified the ARC display http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/milano-75-1985-1993/69476-real-fix-arc-blinking-lights.html but that did not solve the random flashing problem entirely, so I modified the ARC so that all safety critical functions work as designed (brake warning lamp, ABS warning lamp, battery charge lamp, low engine oil level, etc.) but the annoying noncritical flashing lamps (master warning lamp, windshield washer fluid low, etc.) are masked so they do not distract the driver. They are still present. All indicators on the instrument cluster (tach, speedometer, etc. work as designed; the oil pressure gage needle can occasionally get twitchy; this appears only when the car is fully warmed. A new oil pressure sending unit I just installed made no difference. The windshield washer pump works, the headlight pump does not; it is removed and the opening in the fluid reservoir is plugged so the washer fluid reservoir may still be used.
The car completed a comprehensive mechanical refresh in 2008 at 80,000 miles to include a rebuilt transaxle (Alfa Rex) and all gears shift smoothly with no crunch. New shifter bushings, steering rack (still does not leak), ball joints, tie rod ends, brakes and lines, engine seals, engine mounts, all rubber items to include the rubber flex propshaft couplings (‘giubos’), all wheel bearings, wheel seals, etc. etc. I will include all documentation with the car, to include a book of receipts detailing my mechanical upkeep of the car for the past eleven years. Since the refresh was completed in 2008, recently replaced list of new parts include:
Engine timing belt in October 2013 at 87,000 miles
Battery in 2013 (receipt included)
New windshield in 2014
Clutch slave cylinder and braided metal line
Sachs balanced clutch pack (clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, throwout bearing) (Apr 2015)
Headlamp/turn signal multifunction switch and NoS cancelling hub
NoS windshield wiper motor and relay
Lodge spark plugs
Ignition switch
Door handle gaskets
Oil pressure sender
75mm front grill badge
Steering rack boots
Drive axles repacked and rebooted
Euro fog lamps
Blaupunkt Helsinki stereo w/Bluetooth, OEM power antenna, and four aftermarket speakers; original radio is included (it does not work)
Full disclosure:
-The car began its major mechanical refresh in 2005 after I had a bad day and slid it into a curb. No sheet metal was bent; the only cosmetic damage was to the driver’s side lower plastic cladding. There was steering and suspension component damage to the left side. So, while the car was up on the lift, I decided to go through everything else underneath the car that needed attention.
-Rust: None visible anywhere, and I have spent a lot of time underneath this car. Some rust was discovered by Safelite in the cowl and windscreen area when installing the new windshield last year, and it was professionally treated by them prior to installation of the replacement windshield, which by the way, makes a huge difference when driving the car, especially at night.
-Prior Owner (PO) mischief: sometime in the past, a PO attempted a stereo install that included cutting two (OK, I’ll call them “circles”) in the center of the rear speaker shelf metal. It is not evident unless you crawl into the trunk and look up at the shelf, or remove the First Aid Kit cover from the shelf on the inside of the car.
Price: I am asking $9,500. This car has been well loved and it shows, and there are no deferred mechanical issues that would prevent you from driving it home, wherever that may be, so please, no lowball offers. I just installed the new Sachs clutch pack, test drove her, and parked her in storage down the road. She sounds magnificent and drove the same. She is not happy in storage. I hate to part with her, but it’s time to let her go. I have two Spiders in my garage and no more space. Happy to help with shipping, but you would be responsible for the cost. No problem for me in using FedEx for title transfer. I have the clear title in hand. An eleven minute walk around tour of the car will be posted to YouTube later this week, and includes under the hood, in the boot, and the interior. I will bump this ad up when it’s available.
Thanks for looking,

Attachments

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Video is up

Thanks to all that have PM'd for their interest; I am confident I will have a deposit soon. Apologize for some of the narrative- I've owned the car since August 2004- that's almost eleven years. And as stated above, the driver's side bottom plastic cladding was repainted after the curb contact. Here's the walk around

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't take the ad down! That is one of the best writeups I've seen and describes what looks like one of the best Milanos I've seen on here for sale. Obviously that's from afar, but on this side of the screen, that's a good looking car.

·
Registered
2,418 Posts
That's a nice Verde. I wouldn't have sold (any of) mine for that. You couldn't rebuild one for that amount ... Sorted, turnkey Verdes are really hard to come by.

I second the request to keep this ad up, even after the car is sold.

Best of luck concluding the sale.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Someone got what looks like a great Milano at very fair price. Best one I've seen on here (that I can recall) since this one:

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/alfa-romeo-cars-sale-wanted/205779-exceptional-red-1988-milano-verde.html

I swear if I'd seen that when it popped up, I very well might have jumped in there. But I didn't. Instead I've now got a 2014 hot hatch for hooning around the local road courses with my Alfa, Lotus, and other car buddies. So: I wasn't really in the hunt for this one either.

·
Premium Member
1,359 Posts
Wow!

The one day that I didn't check the BB for Cars for Sale, I miss this beauty! Just like mine that I sold back in '99. I would have bought this baby and the '64 Giulia Spider would have had to sleep in the garage for another year or two.

Props to the lucky duck who beat me to it! Enjoy it, my friend.

BTW, I'm here if you change your mind:)

Ray

1 - 14 of 14 Posts