Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m selling the 1988 Milano Verde that I bought on the BB about a year ago. I bought it to drive to the Pittsburgh AROC National Convention to run the Time Trials and Autocross but it needed work and I couldn’t get it ready in time. Now I need to clear out space in my garage. You can see the original BB ad at For Sale - 1988 Milano Verde which includes the seller’s description and the work he did along with some comments and background from earlier owners. I’ve done quite a bit of work on it since I bought it including the following:
  • Replaced the ABS accumulator. The ABS doesn’t work, but the brakes are safe and predictable.
  • Replaced the exhaust system with stock system except CAT. The existing system as shown in the pictures at the link above would have been great for the track but attracted police like crazy.
  • Rebuilt the driveshaft, including all three flex joints and the center bearing. I was careful to maintain alignment of the front and rear shafts to avoid vibrations. What a pain!
  • Replaced a leaking A/C hose. A/C still doesn’t work because the new compressor has a leaking seal. Heater works great although the fan is noisy.
  • Replaced radio.
  • Replaced driver’s seat with one with no rips.
  • I have the fog light assemblies but haven’t installed them.
  • I upgraded the voltage regulator on the ARC unit. This solved everything except that the brake light still flashes. I’m pretty sure it is not an ARC problem and assume it is related to a wheel sensor, but I haven’t been able to figure out what triggers it.
  • Fixed driver’s side rear door lock.
  • Fixed turn signal auto-cancelling.
  • Fixed horn.
  • Replaced fuel pump and filter. Added a second filter between the gas tank and the fuel pump.
  • Replaced faulty alternator with Bosch unit.
I’ve had it on a lift to confirm that it is rust free as the previous seller stated and didn’t find any evidence of rust. Since I bought the car it has never been driven in rain or snow and has been stored inside. The body is in good condition, but the paint is not great. I’ve shown the places where clearcoat is delaminating and a dent in the hood.

It runs and drives great. The transmission shifts well with no sychronizer problems and the clutch is good.

I’ve put less than a thousand miles on it, it is now showing just over 92,000 miles. Based on information from previous owners and the car’s condition I believe that to be actual mileage.

I’m asking $12,000 which is way less than what I have in it.

IMG_2903.JPG IMG_2904.JPG IMG_2905.JPG IMG_2907.JPG IMG_2908.JPG IMG_2912.JPG IMG_2913.JPG IMG_2911.JPG IMG_2916.JPG IMG_2918.JPG

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was trying to get back what I’ve put into it but realized that’s not going to happen so am open to reasonable offers.

I also have quite a few spares including parts to convert to non-ABS. I can put together a list if anybody wants to know.

·
Registered
657 Posts
When I did the valve lash on this car in 2017, the exhaust tappets were chewed to bits and the cams worn. Major pitting on the tappet surfaces.

Has this been addressed?

Also, a friend owned this car and the odometer definitely was inoperable, so the mileage is not actual.

·
Registered
67 Posts
When I did the valve lash on this car in 2017, the exhaust tappets were chewed to bits and the cams worn. Major pitting on the tappet surfaces.

Has this been addressed?

Also, a friend owned this car and the odometer definitely was inoperable, so the mileage is not actual.
I bought this car from Graham a few years ago. I had owned the car about 12 years earlier when it was in great shape. When I sold it the first time, the mileage was approx 87K as I recall. I know the car sat for a long period of time in between sales. Looking at the interior I believe the car had not done many miles in the last 15 years. Even though the odometer does not work,(it did when I originally sold it) I believe the mileage to be very close to what it reads. I sold it the second time a few years ago. The person who bought the car from me did extensive mechanical work to it.

Dave

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Has this been addressed?

On any car this old I would never want to certify the mileage. Basically the car is in good condition but I agree that I can’t guarantee that it is correct mileage. for some reason the BB won’t let me edit my original entry or I would make a note regarding your experience regarding the status of the odometer.

Regarding the condition of the cams and exhaust tappets, I haven’t pulled the cam covers since I bought the car. The previous owner had the heads ‘redone and resurfaced’ as noted in the link from the previous owner that I supplied in my first post above, but I’m not sure what else he did at the time. The car runs strong so I didn’t bother to disassemble things that didn’t appear to need work. I will try to contact the previous owner and get more information about the head work. If I can’t reach him, when the weather improves I will pull the cam covers and verify the condition of the tappets and the cams.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts