Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hellooooo everyone,

Ive been working on a 1988 Milano for a friend. Brake lights dont work. But, all the other tailights work properly. So far I have:

1.) Checked the corresponding fuse
2.) Inspected the bulbs and connections/grounds on the tailight sockets
3.) Located the Brake light switch (on the brake pedal)

All checked out ok.

I have not tested the switch. I may just order one and swap it out. Although, the switch is difficult to reach up under the dash.

Any suggestions would be very, very much appreciated. THANKS!

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Check the switch manually and see if the brake lights come on. If I recall correctly, the upper part of the brake pedal pushes in the pin when you step on the brake pedal. Try push the pin in with a finger and see if the brake lights come on. Go from there...
Jes

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did try that. Actually, when you push the brake pedal in, the button is released. But, I pushed it in and out and... nothing. Now, I am trying to gain some knowledge about the ARC unit since the wires supposedly go to it directly from the switch.

Thanks much for the reply!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Use a test light on the switch's connector to make sure the switch is getting power. One of those connections should always be hot. If it is getting power and is not working, the switch is bad. It's a little tricky to get at, removing the steering column clamshells makes it easier.

A pretty common failure. On ours, the ARC would flash LIGHT and BRAKE whenever the brake pedal was pressed, but would go out when the pedal was released.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Is the brake light switch the audible and tactile *click* that you get when applying the brakes? My 'click' disappeared, and the brake lights are no longer functioning.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
Check and see if the switch is broken. If you replace it its better to find a factory one (alfa parts in berkeley) than the junky reproduction one that IAP sells.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i fixed mine by doing what dscottj said. use a simple test light to make sure the switch is getting power. one of the wires connecting to the switch should always be hot. if the switch is getting power, you can be more confident that you have switch failure. my switch was getting power so i just ordered one (i think it was about $30). i was able to replace it without removing any dashboard pieces or steering wheel shroud.

·
Registered
629 Posts
just a thought: have you checked the wire on the hand brake switch
has the correct attached eg I had the yellow green wire connected instead of the purple grey wire under the console.:)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts