Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son removed his gauge cluster as part of a project to replace the dash. He took photos of everything, but given most of his experience is with Jeep and Nissan vehicles, he didn't consider any possibility that plugs might interchange.

Before taking it out, everything worked except the tach. I found a bent pin which is likely to fix that.

After installing, nothing works properly. For instance, turn the heater switch on and the rear window defroster active light comes on. There are no gauge lights.

He removed the harnesses both at the cluster and the connectors under the dash. Are these plugs actually interchangeable?

We looked at the partially correct manual, it shows connectors A-D, with no mention of which is which...

·
Premium Member
1,972 Posts
On my Nuova Super, the two main plugs for the dash are color coded, but interchangeable, don't ask me how I know, but you can figure it out. (I did).

·
Registered
9,419 Posts
After installing, nothing works properly. For instance, turn the heater switch on and the rear window defroster active light comes on. There are no gauge lights.

He removed the harnesses both at the cluster and the connectors under the dash. Are these plugs actually interchangeable?
the connectors at the instrument monopod cannot be mixed up
but those under the dash, yes, he could have mixed those up (he actually didn't have to touch those to remove the instrument pod)
the instrument wiring harness will be similar to this
monopod wiring loom.jpg

Do you need a coloured wiring diagram for the 88 spider? I can send a pdf to your private conversations box...let me know

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the connectors at the instrument monopod cannot be mixed up
but those under the dash, yes, he could have mixed those up (he actually didn't have to touch those to remove the instrument pod)
the instrument wiring harness will be similar to this
View attachment 1658715

Do you need a coloured wiring diagram for the 88 spider? I can send a pdf to your private conversations box...let me know
Dom, thanks for the advice and offer. Now we know where to look!
I do have those drawings, Papajam sent them a couple of years ago when my Spider (yes, my son now has one too!) had an issue with a fuel relay.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I hate to think what damage was done to your cluster if the plugs were plugged in wrong. I do have an extra cluster if you decide that you need one.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We've considered that. The goods news about 1988 gauge clusters is that they are primarily just a printed circuit with no electronics to blow and only 12V of power from any switch.

The only consideration will be gauges, so if one doesn't work, I'll pass your info on.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts