Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate as my first project car! Although I am fairly new with how cars work, I managed to get mine started. My problem is that it has trouble starting if it is not at operating temperature. If it is a cold start, I have to use starter fluid and keep touching the gas until it gets to operating temperature. If I don't touch the gas the car will stall(after it reaches operating temperature I can let it idle). Any ideas on what I should check in order to hopefully fix this problem?

·
Registered
284 Posts
first check would be the cold start injector. when engine cold, it squirts extra fuel into the intake to help starting. only does for a short burst, giving engine a chance to start. can pull and see if squirts when starting - of course, need to exercise extreme caution what with the chance of spraying gasoline all over the engine bay.

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I recently bought a 1988 Alfa Romeo Spider Graduate as my first project car! Although I am fairly new with how cars work, I managed to get mine started. My problem is that it has trouble starting if it is not at operating temperature. If it is a cold start, I have to use starter fluid and keep touching the gas until it gets to operating temperature. If I don't touch the gas the car will stall(after it reaches operating temperature I can let it idle). Any ideas on what I should check in order to hopefully fix this problem?
I'd like to see a picture of your intake setup. How are you getting the starter fluid to the intake? Are you spraying it through the air flow meter? If you have the air flow meter disconnected or removed, the car may not idle well (if at all), especially when cold.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sloboy89 - Unfortunately Im currently not home with it (I will be Saturday and I will take pictures if you need). The way I have been putting starter fluid in has been pulling off the beginning of the air intake, spray a little amount in, and then put the air intake back together. After everything is connected correctly, I would then start the engine and keep the revolutions up to not let it stall.

ghnl - I read though the list last night and I will try to go though what I can. That guide for the spider is very detailed and I feel as it definitely will help me fix my problem.

barboncino105 - I will defiantly have to look at it. It is in the list ghnl posted about. I am going to clean the AAV and when I do that I will test the cold start injector.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts