Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
I woulg guess that the pictures are from the time the guy bought the car from TX. I think the plates shown are TX.
I am suspicious as to the mileage. I don't think a Quad with 60K would have needed all that suspension and brake work.
That said I would consider it a good prospect though the Buy now price a tad high.
This is a car that I would recommend you see and drive before making a serious offer.
TTFN Elio

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
I don't see anything amiss in the photos. The paperwork should give some confidence on the mileage, depending on how far back it goes.

The photos are from various different time periods, though. Not the aforementioned TX plates, as well as the TX registration stickers in the window on some photos (but not all).

If it's a solid car, the BIN is pretty much spot on for a decent shape S3 Quad with those miles - probably a little low given the nice carpet, apparently good paint and included hard top.

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
I am a firm believer that, if the asking price or price you are considering paying (whatever that is) is an amount that you do not consider insignificant, then you need to have the car inspected. That said, and judging only by the pics (which is not the proper way to evaluate a car), I would say that this car is correctly priced. Very nice Quads exceed $10k easily, and it is not unusual to seem the trade hands in the $12k - $15k range.

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Well Hooligan and Enrique, I don't disagree one bit, however I am very sceptical when a seller does not post current pictures of the car he is selling. This appears to be the case in this instance.

Best wishes for a fine holiday!

Elio

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Well Hooligan and Enrique, I don't disagree one bit, however I am very sceptical when a seller does not post current pictures of the car he is selling. This appears to be the case in this instance.

Best wishes for a fine holiday!

Elio
Elio,
I do agree with your reason to be skeptical, that's why I posted with "disclaimers". :) If it were me, and even if all the pics were current, I would still not commit to paying $8k unless I saw the car in person. (Most U.S. internet special roundtrip flights are less than $200, and believe me, I use them.) The way I see it, the auction listing is nothing more than information to decide if I want to speak with the seller, and then make arrangements to take a look at the car. With a seller that doesn't post current pics, is asking only $8k (that's asking price, and no one can force me to pay what I don't feel it's worth ;)), which is not a lot for a Quad, I would expect a car with flaws, although I'm not so sure the seller would agree that what I see are flaws. He /she may also be unaware of what I'm seeing...

Best regards,

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Elio,
I do agree with your reason to be skeptical, that's why I posted with "disclaimers". :) If it were me, and even if all the pics were current, I would still not commit to paying $8k unless I saw the car in person. (Most U.S. internet special roundtrip flights are less than $200, and believe me, I use them.) The way I see it, the auction listing is nothing more than information to decide if I want to speak with the seller, and then make arrangements to take a look at the car. With a seller that doesn't post current pics, is asking only $8k (that's asking price, and no one can force me to pay what I don't feel it's worth ;)), which is not a lot for a Quad, I would expect a car with flaws, although I'm not so sure the seller would agree that what I see are flaws. He /she may also be unaware of what I'm seeing...

Best regards,
Agreed with both Elio and Enrique.

If you can't go look at the car yourself, get someone from the local Alfa club (or someone knowledgeable from the BB) to check it out. Enrique proved a valuable asset when he looked at an '87 Spider for me. Unfortunately, the bidding got out of control on that car and I was forced to pass on it.

I wound up buying a Spider two VINs away from the one Enrique saw and a member of the St. Louis club inspected the car for me. Fortunately, my new car was well known in the St. Louis Alfa community... and it has proven to be an excellent buy so far.

·
Registered
117 Posts
If you're really into this car try this; ask the seller if he'll send you a video, with a dated newspaper in it, going around/through the car. Have him start it, whatever you consider important. Tell him you'll pay for the media. If it shows well you make a deal. This has been a very good way to get close to a faraway vehicle for me. If they balk there's usually a reason.

Frank

·
Registered
196 Posts
Get a Carfax on the vehicle

I would recommend getting a carfax on the vehicle. It saved me once. Use this as one of the many tools you use to assess the vehicle.

Good luck in finding one!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the great info. I'm still looking and learning. I don't have my heart set of this one, but would a car in the condition that it appears to be in be worth the $4500 it currently is getting. I don't have a point of reference yet.

Regards,

Joe

·
Registered
429 Posts
It does look like a decent buy in the pics, but like everyone says it would be way better to check it out in person. I own an 88 quad that I bought on ebay a few years ago. It had a lot more issues than this one, like missing half the engine and brake componets, missing half the interior including the instrument panel, bullet hole in the windshield, faded paint, some dents, only had three wheels, top was shot, etc., but it was rust free in the important areas, and I still think I got a smokin deal on it towing it home for $600. I maybe have $2500 total invested in the car as of now and it's a great running, decent looking car, but I really enjoy the rebuilding process and even if I put another $3000 into it, I doubt it would be at the level where the car your looking at is. I always watch the quads on ebay and they rarely sell for less than $4500 in decent driveable shape and way more if they are good to excellent. This one seems like a decent deal right now, but I wouldn't be suprised if it hits 6 or 7K. If the car is really a 60K rust free texas car in the shape he says it's in, I don't think the BIN is too far out of line at all, but they are also not uncommon enough that it's hard to find a good deal either, so don't get to upset if you have to let this one go.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Ho-hooo! I'd buy it in a heartbeat if I had the $$$....just did a bigscreen TV...

Frank

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It does look like a decent buy in the pics, but like everyone says it would be way better to check it out in person. I own an 88 quad that I bought on ebay a few years ago. It had a lot more issues than this one, like missing half the engine and brake componets, missing half the interior including the instrument panel, bullet hole in the windshield, faded paint, some dents, only had three wheels, top was shot, etc., but it was rust free in the important areas, and I still think I got a smokin deal on it towing it home for $600. I maybe have $2500 total invested in the car as of now and it's a great running, decent looking car, but I really enjoy the rebuilding process and even if I put another $3000 into it, I doubt it would be at the level where the car your looking at is. I always watch the quads on ebay and they rarely sell for less than $4500 in decent driveable shape and way more if they are good to excellent. This one seems like a decent deal right now, but I wouldn't be suprised if it hits 6 or 7K. If the car is really a 60K rust free texas car in the shape he says it's in, I don't think the BIN is too far out of line at all, but they are also not uncommon enough that it's hard to find a good deal either, so don't get to upset if you have to let this one go.
Ah, I remember that car! Wasn't it in Chicago? I was living in Indiana or Michigan at the time (I forget how long ago it was) and I was very tempted to buy it.

This is one looks extremely nice for the price.
eBay Motors: Alfa Romeo : Spider (item 270192667167 end time Dec-09-07 14:17:39 PST)
The BIN on that Spider is very reasonable.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts