Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was replacing a couple of exhaust studs on my 1987 Alfa spider 2liter head and did not take the time on one to apply a little heat, before using a stud extractor.

Broke the stud. Drilled it out to use an “easy out” and broke the easy out in the hole in the stuck stud.

Any recommendations on machine shops in the Philadelphia, PA area that work on Alfa’s?

Also, any recommendations on sources for rebuilt heads?

I appreciate any help / suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is any part of the easy out sticking out enough to get a vise grip on? If yes, put some penetration oil on the stud. Wait a day. Heat it with a heat gun capable of 1200 degrees. When nice and hot. Wiggle the vise grip back and forth (gently) until it frees up. You can use a propane torch also. Just keep it moving around the stud to get maximum expansion of the aluminum.

If it broke off clean then the machine shop is your best option. They'll probably over drill it and put in a time-sert or some other sleeve product to repair the hole.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The break is slightly recessed so no way to get it. Tried to use a small punch to walk the easy out backwards, to no avail. It’s machine shop time.
Any recommendations around Philadelphia are helpful, or a source for a rebuilt head.

·
Registered
443 Posts
There is a laser tool that will fix your problem. I'm sure that you will be able to find a machine shop, in your area, that can perform this service. If not, I have several engines with rebuildable heads. I'm about two hours away in the York, PA area. Send email if interested andylarry @ a o l.c o m

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
I would suggest getting a carbide drill but they are easy to break and your luck hasn't been on your side so far. Bring it to a machine shop that knows how to TIG WELD. They'll build up some material on the extractor then weld on a screw then back that out. The heat helps too, then the same thing with the broken stud. We do it all the time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts