Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Alfa Owners,

I Have a 1987 Spider Graduate and I am looking to replace the OEM exhaust. I have done some research and there are a lot of companies in the U.K who provide sport exhausts for Alfa Romeo brand cars. Preferably dual exhaust. I am looking to do a complete exhaust system starting from the headers all the way to the rear section and tailpipe. I am looking for an exhaust without a catalytic converter. I am looking for a great sounding exhaust with quality resonators to make the car sound great!

Thomas

·
Registered
549 Posts

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Hard to beat Magnaflow for quality. Whether the sound is right for you is pretty subjective. My muffler guy, who does a lot of tuner, sport, and race cars, likes Magnaflow, but says way more people find with a loud car that they wished they'd gone with a quieter system, even people who wanted it loud.

If you don't need a cat or have inspections, there are tube headers from a variety of sources. That said, the 4-2-1 stock system is pretty good. And the earlier 1962-1974 105 two-piece cast header is very good for everyday use, makes good torque and loses out to a good header only once you're up in the rev range.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hard to beat Magnaflow for quality. Whether the sound is right for you is pretty subjective. My muffler guy, who does a lot of tuner, sport, and race cars, likes Magnaflow, but says way more people find with a loud car that they wished they'd gone with a quieter system, even people who wanted it loud.

If you don't need a cat or have inspections, there are tube headers from a variety of sources. That said, the 4-2-1 stock system is pretty good. And the earlier 1962-1974 105 two-piece cast header is very good for everyday use, makes good torque and loses out to a good header only once you're up in the rev range.

Andrew
I looked into my local municipality laws and Since my Spider is 87' I do not need to get it checked for emissions.

I am interested in the 4-2-1 stock system that you are talking about, but I do not know what that really means! I am new to the world of car modifications as this is my first car that I have bought for the purpose of tuning.

Maybe if you could post some links to the products you are talking about that would help out a lot and I would appreciate it.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with a stinger rear pipe to remove the rear muffler (near the tip)?

Thomas

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
I just sold a 74-type cast header to a guy for his 77 Spider, which no longer has an air pump. See pic. You need a 74 type front section to match it, then can do what you want behind that. It should fit onto the car without difficulty.

My experience with rear stingers is they make more noise but don't materially change the power. Saves some weight too.

Andrew

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just sold a 74-type cast header to a guy for his 77 Spider, which no longer has an air pump. See pic. You need a 74 type front section to match it, then can do what you want behind that. It should fit onto the car without difficulty.

My experience with rear stingers is they make more noise but don't materially change the power. Saves some weight too.

Andrew
Okay. Thanks for the pictures.

what is your experience with the rear and middle section of the exhaust?
And ideas for rear cat bypass and a good sounding mid muffler/resonator?

Thomas

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
I tend to like stock myself, at least on street cars. I use stock cast headers and Centerline exhausts, or whatever I have lying around. I'm in CA, so no replacing cats for me. My Bosch Spider has a Magnaflow center muffler and cat, and small glass-pack type rear muffler. It's 30% louder than stock, I don't like it, but it's all welded up and works great, cat is new, so I'm going to leave it til I have a reason to change it.

My street-legal race Super (fairly prepped 1600) has an IAP tube header and collector, no front muffler, Bosal stock middle muffler, Centerline rear stinger w/o muffler. It's loud for a street car, quiet for a race car. It's fine, doesn't generate tickets, doesn't hurt me on drives.

Andrew

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay. Thank you for your replies. This information helps a lot.
On an unrelated note my spider is an 87 graduate with injection. Do you know if it is spica or bosch? I am assuming that my spider is a 3rd series like yours.

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
87 is Bosch L Jetronic, yes. Bosch Motronic came in a couple years later. Last Spica was 1981. It'll run without the cat, but you need to retain the oxygen sensor.

Andrew

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
That's just my view. There are as many views about exhaust type, noise, etc. as there are about oil and tires.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
13,455 Posts
Regarding the Stinger: It may not be too loud if you have a cat and a center muffler but it will be pretty anti-social with just the center muffler and no cat. The OEM CISAM mufflers are decent quality and you can be confident that they will fit properly.

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
I replaced my original restrictive 1 piece exhaust manifold with one from a '73, removed the last can in the system and installed a stinger pipe instead, and replaced a botched rusted out cherry-bomb and CAT with the front 2 cans from CISAM, which I understand is OEM, bought from Centerline.

I love it!!!!! It's mostly quiet around town at civilized RPM's but growls, then bellows, then screams as you leave civilization behind.... (or just want to hear it make music)....:thumbup:

·
Premium Member
21,349 Posts
Yep, CL has Cisam stuff, really good quality and fit, in my experience. Mild steel systems can rust out pretty quickly though, especially in around-town use where you don't boil off all the condensation. Magnaflow stainless should last a lot longer, but you pay for the difference.
Andrew

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
86 Spider, pre-'73 2 piece cast headers, centerline (or was it IAP?) stock pre-73 center exhaust system (resonator in front, muffler in rear) then a stinger in rear instead of second muffler. Love it! Not at ALL loud even versus my stock 2010 Corvette muffler. Oh, make sure you have a O2 sensor "bung" welded in so you can keep the stock O2 - you will need it!

·
Registered
936 Posts
one of the guys i went to college with, when i had my GTV6, had a 80's spider. stock front and center sections (California Cat equipped), but with a rear stinger. his sounded properly sporty, but not too loud.

my 73 GTV has a full stainless Stebro system with ported cast iron manifolds. mega $$$, and was before Magnaflow and Alfaholics had their systems. sounds killer when romping through the mountains or the track. but its just too LOUD when cruising around. a recent idea i had, was to see if there is room to add a quarter wave resonator tuned to freeway RPMs.

mild steel exhausts will have a mellower tone compared to stainless (sound frequency, not volume) but won't live as long.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the posts everyone! I am still unsure as to what sound I want so I have decided to try out a stinger for the rear pipe (removing the muffler near the tip). I will keep everyone posted on the progress with pictures and maybe a sound clip as well. At that stage I'll end up deciding if I will swap the headers and center section out.

Right now I am looking at this stinger... It is only $63.00 before tax and shipping.

https://www.centerlinealfa.com/exhaust/1507

Any other suggestions?

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts

·
Registered
936 Posts
for the cost of the raw pipe, a tip, a flange, and the labor of custom fitting welding and installing, would it really be less than $63 ?

where i live, it seems you would get charged that just for a mechanic to look at your car...

·
Senior TEXAS member
1,526 Posts
Yes it really was less than that.
The whole job to fabricate the stinger and to install the whole system was under $100, and that included replacing the manifold and the exhaust hanger at the transmission. I worked along with him.
It was on a quiet and slow Saturday and mine was the last job he did.
I shared a bottle of Tequila with him after, so maybe that's why it was not expensive...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts