Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this car that needs to be put back together. My son and I are going to use this car for Auto X and we are wondering how the engine will stand up to this kind of use. It is mostly short tracks and probably wont get out of 2nd gear. Thanks for any and all responses

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I just bought this car that needs to be put back together. My son and I are going to use this car for Auto X and we are wondering how the engine will stand up to this kind of use. It is mostly short tracks and probably wont get out of 2nd gear. Thanks for any and all responses
You shouldn't have any problem with this use. AutoX frankly isn't that hard engines given the short run time. However, be aware that the Alfa won't be remotely competitive in SCCA AutoX against Miatas (which are in the same class). That won't stop you from having fun though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info. We are gonna run stock class until I can find out what if any performance parts are available.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Thanks for info. We are gonna run stock class until I can find out what if any performance parts are available.
There are lots of performance parts, but I’m afraid there’s little you can do to make the spider competitive in SCCA unless you pretty much rip out everything that makes it an Alfa. Nothing to do with Alfa per se- it’s just that the SCCA rules aren’t setup for older cars (unless you have an older American car in the classic muscle class). An 87 Porsche or Ferrari would be similarly uncompetitive.

Check out Alfaholics “race and performance” for a pretty comprehensive listing of what’s out there. There are much cheaper ways to do things than Alfaholics, but they are probably the most comprehensive on the performance side. The mechanical parts (not body panels) that are listed as being for a GTV/GTA generally will fit with a few minor exceptions.

·
Administrator
16,460 Posts
I say go for it! (and post lots of photos & videos for us, please)

Add as much lightness as you can (remove anything not needed to make the car go & stop) and the only thing holding you back will be the nut holding the steering wheel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts