Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1987 Quad Spider brake issues

623 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  mzmaine 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi.. I pulled this low mile spider out of storage to get back to excellent running shape. The front calipers were sticking, so had them rebuilt. When I reinstalled them, the brakes felt pretty good, but not amazing. (I have an 86 Quad as well to compare). I noticed a fluid drop, and looked for any sign of seepage.. nope.. pulled the master and voila, fluid in the booster. Ordered a new master from Centerline and installed.. Bled the brakes with ATE fluid and test drove the car.. The brakes had little grab. Pads are very good, rotors good, no fluid on them.. but no braking power. To be certain, I re-bled the brakes and witnessed zero air. The booster works as I can feel the pedal improvement when the car is running. But I cant come close to locking up the brakes.. Any ideas? Bad master? Thanks!

#2 ·
There is an old thread here about soft brakes after major work. The thread is many pages long with lots of good ideas but no single definitive fix. My best advice (and it is worth exactly what you're paying for it...) is to re-bleed the system every few days. The combination of sitting for a while and further bleeding somehow seems to finally get it working correctly.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.