Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just saw a post for a low mileage gold value and figured it couldn't hurt to post my car. I recently purchased it with hopes of keeping it but with my current finances it must go. The car is a 1987 Milano Verde, 15K miles since new, in storage since 1988, original paint, tires etc. The car has mint interior, recaros, heated seats etc. I'm in the process of changing timing belt, changing fluids etc but everything else is 100% as it came off the lot in 1987. I was going to throw it on eBay but figured it couldn't hurt to get a idea of what the car is even worth. Any opinions are appreciated as I'm not really a Alfa person.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll get some pics tomorrow. The paint is in need of buff as the car sat for so long but the car is as original as your going to find.

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
Do you have a ball park for how much you are asking?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Honestly no clue, I have no clue what its worth. Feel free to make offers. This is not a for sale ad more of what I'm expecting to get for the car on eBay.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
Where is car located?
Jes

·
Registered
6,087 Posts
Milanos, even Verdes, go for bargain-like figures. Many Verdes sell for approximately $4k. One as you describe should break $10k. How much past $10k is impossible to estimate without seeing the car and assessing the damage from allowing the car to sit for a long period of time. Also, you really hurt your potential transaction by not being able to establish a value. First, you state that you recently purchased the car, so how can you not know what it is worth? I mean, price paid, plus estimate of work needed should at least give you a basis. You are person who most recently paid for this car, and the one who knows best what it's current condition is. If you cannot come up with at least a range, then it sounds as if you don't want to provide a figure because this car that has been sitting for so long has some issues, and you want to get more than what it's really worth. I'm not trying to give you a hard time, just trying to tell you how this could look to a potential buyer.

Best regards,

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I suspect that nfakbc may have acquired the Verde under fortunate circumstances at a price well under the market value, but is realizing it may have more value.

As Enrique points out, the fact that it sat for so long may cause a lot of issues to pop when you start operating it again. One being that oil seals in engine may have dried up and become hard. That can cause them to start leak once you start drive the car a bit more, and unfortunately replacing them can be costly (in labor = pulling engine).

Anyway, post some pics and more detailed information if available.

Jes

·
Supporting Vendor
4,365 Posts
Four years ago I bought a Verde with 28k miles on it. I paid less than $10k for it, but not much less.

The difference was that my car had been used regularly but sparingly. It had been dealer serviced every other year, with regular oil changes and coolant changes, a new timing belt and tensioner, regular waxings, etc. and had been stored with a car cover. These things made the car in essence "as new", and it has been a very trouble free car since I've had it.

Unfortunately, Milanos don't like to sit - more so than even other Alfas. The main issues I would worry about are the ABS (which really needs regular fluid changes), the electrical system, and the interior (which dries out and gets brittle).

I would be very particular about how I would start the engine on a car that had sat for 10+ years as well - the best way would be to pull the valve covers and re-oil the cams before turning it over. Also, some lubrication for the rings is needed to prevent wear on startup.

Also, things like exterior trim mouldings tend to dry out without regular conditioning.

Overall - the price of the car will depend on condition. If the car was stored well, many of the things mentioned may not be an issue and it could be worth somewhere near the $10k figure mentioned.

I see the buyer groups as:

1) A collector that wants a low-mileage car to add to their collection. Not too many people are doing this with Milanos (yet).

2) Someone who loves driving Milanos but is sick of "used up" cars with high miles and is willing to pay a premium for a car with a lot of life left in it.

Joe

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
A few ultra low mileage GTV6's sold in the $9 to $11K recently. I would think your Milano would be worth some place in that range assuming it is in tip top shape, possibly a little less since 4 doors are typically less collectable than 2 doors.

I agree with JoeCab. I think the person who buys this is a driver, not a collector which might lower the price a little. Post up some pics and name the location, and maybe a buyer will come out of the woodwork.

·
Registered
448 Posts
For what the car would be worth the chances are that you won't get the money that it deserves, it sounds like a great example. Although as others have said letting it sit for a long time would more than likely reduce the price. Was the car garaged or left outside/carport? From all the 75's/Milano's I have seen driving around Aus (there aren't many) they are generally a car that isn't highly collectable, yet. They are all used as daily drivers so that may be the case for you, which would also reduce the price. Like Zinhead said, the gtv's are generally more collectable I have noticed significant price rises of gtvs in Australia over the past 2-3 years, may be the same for the 75?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts