Alfa Romeo Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just stumbled upon an '87 Milano with Italian nameplates (75, although has DOT plate) that apparently had an engine fire recently. The car is in amazing clean condition both inside and out that indicate that it was a well maintained car, 3 liter rear spoiler and flares, aftermarket BBS wheels, decent tires, other than the front.

Has anyone out there dealt with bringing a Milano back to life that has had an engine fire? Hood is wrinkled a bit, grille gone, front tires slightly melted, but other than that fine. I couldn't open the hood, so I don't as of yet know the extent of the engine compartment damage, but I am assuming anything plastic, along with the wiring harness is gone.

Hopefully by the end of the day or tomorrow I should know if I can buy the car. Any thoughts on value? Hope to have some photos later.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Subscribed.

I think MY only concern would be the wiring harness into car. It's a given that the hoses, plastics, tanks, etc. are wasted in the engine compartment and will need to be replaced. Can't wait to see pic's. Good luck!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went back with my camera and shot these photos. The owner was there, told me he smelled gas on the highway, tried to make it into the city, could see the gas gauge quickly dropping, then it burst into flames.

It's from Florida, no rust that I can see, 3.0 engine, SuperSprint exhaust. I probably won't know till tomorrow afternoon regarding buying it.

Attachments

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Engine Photos

Here are the engine photos. I did notice red coils on the rear suspension.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
The seats look good. So just the front seats are worth 2k
over all not too bad. This is why you need to change out the fuel lines every so many years. The gold I got had the OEM line from 86 when I got replacement hose as soon as I touched them and they snapped and turned to dust. I think I was lucky that did not happen to me while I was waiting for the hose to show up.

but over all very lucky the whole car did not go up.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
say you bought it, to fix up. i wouldnt bother redoing the harness for the l-jet, i really cant see why this wouldnt be the perfect excuse to go with something aftermarket and gain full control of the engine. not to mention clean out the 'cheese holes' everywhere, and dress the engine bay up with hidden wiring and boot mount battery.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I have a complete L-Jet engine bay harness out of a 2.5 you can have for shipping plus a donation of your choice to the BB. Though, that is a pretty massive undertaking to bring back. It will cost you quite a bit, even if you do it yourself. Just look at all the parts needed. How was fire put out? Is engine frozen? Although T-belt looks to be on, don't try to turn it over.
Jes

·
Registered
55 Posts
To fix that car you will need another donor car, build one out of the two_On its own its just a parts car. I did this with my 75 many years ago.

·
Registered
3,810 Posts
It looks exactly like my grey Potenziata. The wiring was damaged inside the car as well as outside and even the heater vents melted a bit because the aircon was running at the time. Everything from the dash back is fine. I am using it for parts because it would be a massive and expensive job to resurrect it. The insurance paid for it and I bought my black Potenziata to replace it. You would want to pay next to nothing for that car if you were going to take it on.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
$2,000 for the front seats??? They did look like they might be fine from what I could see under the covers.

The firewall did appear to have some damage.

say you bought it, to fix up. i wouldnt bother redoing the harness for the l-jet, i really cant see why this wouldnt be the perfect excuse to go with something aftermarket and gain full control of the engine. not to mention clean out the 'cheese holes' everywhere, and dress the engine bay up with hidden wiring and boot mount battery.
Carburetors? Say Weber IDfs or two PMO triple barrel carbs?

I should know that status of this car this afternoon, and whether I can buy it or not.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
yea is is sad but the Recaro's are worth more then a lot of the Verde's out there.
I can't remember the exact cost but I think it was $1500 - $2000 just to have them recovered. and a extra $50-$100 for the Recaro stitching.

I would pull the motor just to clean up and paint the steel.

my guess is the lighting wires are also tost. but the wire the AR use is crap anyways and most of the plugs are bad.

I would say go to the local surplus place and get good Teflon Wire. this stuff is the best. and most of the time the surplus places have it cheap and in all the colors.
at the same place get a lot of heat shrink.
get a some crimp tools if you do not have any. but new jr. timmer plugs for the injectors, CLT (temp), AFM ,TPS
run the new wire all the way back to the inside where the wire is good. solder the new wire to the good old and slide the heat shrink over the splice and heat.
most of the other plugs/pins and what not get at digikey. dirt cheap.
when done you have good wiring with plugs that work and not fall apart

but it would be a good time for a programmable ECU. then you don't need some of crap like the AFM.

but to be honest most of the stuff other then say the tanks should have been or needed to be replaced anyways.

Take any of the Milano's all the plugs are bad and the wires are craking.
So that should be replaced anyways. As for all the rubber parts. well lets just say what started the fire in the first place.
so if you replace all the stuff that should be changed anyways you are left with not that much. a few tanks. and some paint..

That said if you could get a junk 2.5 for parts just the little stuff like plastic ducts and such it would be worth it. a 1000 times over.

things like the headlights and blinker alone if bad can cost more then a junk 2.5

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I stopped by the place with the Milano Verde again this afternoon, both to get a certified weight for my '83 Spider (2,460 Lbs.), and while there asked again about the car. I guy that I dealt with yesterday told me that he hasn't had time to do the paperwork transfers, but not to worry, I have first chance on the car.

Hope to have this car by next week!

·
Registered
615 Posts
timing belt still looks good. just change the battery, plug the brake hose and fire it up :D

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
BTW I would take out the battery and wash off the acid as soon as you can.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
carb'ed v6 would be reasonably easy and cheap too [maybe... now i think about it, it could go pear shaped real quick], and pretty cool, but id go with an aftermarket ecu, if the budget allowed it.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update: Stopped to check up on the Milano within the last hour; things aren't looking too good. Someone other than the person that I was dealing with, turned into the state paperwork for scrapping this vehicle. The guy that I have been dealing with found out about it, and now they are trying to get the paperwork back so it can be resold to me. Unfortunately the state isn't being too cooperative so it could be a longer than expected wait. I sure hope this Verde isn't scrapped!

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I think it has euro lights!! Look at the main beam lens.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I think it has euro lights!! Look at the main beam lens.
You mean it has smoked euro headlights :p and not the kind of smoked lenses some people like ;)
Jes

1 - 19 of 19 Posts